2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speaker Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Questions

I am looking at replacing my stock speakers in my truck. I believe the sizes are 6X9 and 5.25. I don't really know what kind to get. I'm looking at Sony's right now because my head unit is a Sony and I really like it. What do you suggest? I mostly listen to country and classic rock. I like the bass, but I don't like it so loud that stuff in the truck starts rattling. Also is there any chance I could get a 6.5 instead of a 5.25. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Joshwfl
Default RE: Speaker Questions

I replaced mine with aftermarket 6x9s, and 6.5's in the back. I needed to use a sawzall to make the rear openings larger, but they fit now and sound good.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:21 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are spacers that can allow a 6.5 in a 5.25 hole. The problem usually is that the speaker is raised a considerable difference where, cuts may have to be made. I am not familiar with the new trucks. You may have removable grilles. If so, you're go to go with the 6.5s

It's true what they say if you want good sound. You MUST power the speaker. There are a few companies that make audio speakers that can be powered by a head unit's true RMS output. They are a good sounding speaker, but they are costly. Very costly....and usually custom made, add another $200.00...lol.

I have 4, Infinity Kappa Perfect 693.7I. They are a 6x9, 3 way. I push a lot of power through them. The sound clarity is incredible. And believe it or not, if your head unit doesn't have to push the speakers, it adds MEGA longevity to a head unit. If you buy any higher end speaker, and put a lot of power to them. You will extract all the bass you need. You're not a "thumper". Neither am I for the most part. I do have a 10" sub, and that is heavily powered as well. I like to hear a drummer foot when he's playing. None of that "Ghetto Mayfair" crap makin windows rattle. I hate that **** too.

Get 4 nice speakers, and a quality 4 channel amp. Make sure the power wire & ground are the right gauge, and keep your low level cables away from ANY power wires in the vehicle. It's easy.

It is amazing how sound clarity is almost a perfect science now adays.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:39 AM
nhlbill
Veteran

I put Infinity Reference 6" x 9" in the doors on mine with a Kenwood deck and a Bazooka 200 watt 8" sub/amp behind the seat. I did not change out the rear speakers, rather, I just faded them out for now.

The sound quality out of a $500.00 system (total cost for 6" x 9" speakers, Bazooka amp/sub, and Kenwood head unit) is amazing!

Don't be fooled into thinking you need to spend $1k or even $700.00 on a system. Or that you need to make it complicated with seperate amps and sub boxes. The Bazooka tubes (as long as you get the 200 watt models) are great, as are the Infinty Basslinks. The door speakers I have are Infinity and the crisp clear highs and mids are excellent (way better then stock), and compliment the powered sub well.

I don't have a competetive system with the ricers, but when I roll up my windows and crank my classic rock/country, it sounds great! The lows are strong and loud and will shake you and make the rear view mirror dance. The highs are crystal clear and sharp and can actually hurt your ears and still stay clear.

Some guys like to spend thousands of dollars on their stereo systems and the results are fantastic, but a functional system that sounds great and will impress most people who get in your truck is about $500.00 away.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

What's the best way to go with speakers 2-way, 3-way, or 4-way? Sorry if I'm asking supid questions this is my first truck and I've never delt with a car audio system before. I just want my truck to sound good.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

POWERED 3 ways.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

As most said, power the speakers. Will be worlds apart from head unit powered. Sounddeadening the doors will make the speakers sound better also.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey nhlbill, was that sub a Bazooka BTA8200 8" powered subwoofer? Also which amp are you using to power your door speakers. I just installed new 6x9 three ways unpowered and they sound like my stock speakers. I'm not much into audio gear and could use a recommendation to upgrade my sound system. Thanks, Todd.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:38 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

The amp you need is dependent on the speakers you are running. What speakers do you have?

Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 AM
doziersdodge
Professional

Let's see, where do I start. My sound system came with the factory infinity package so when my rear speakers blew, it was a pretty good undertaking. I started with swapping out my head unit with a Sony CD/MP3 player. Then I installed a 1000W amp to power all four of the new speakers. I had to of course run new speaker wires. I installed 6x9's in the doors and 6.5's in the rear. I cut the rear panels to make the 6.5's fit and that was well worth it. I then installed a second 400W amp to power two subs. I placed an 8" bazooka under the rear seat, I will install a second bazooka as soon as the funds come in. I really like this system. I went with all Sony and of course the bazooka. And yes, I made the bazooka fit under my rear seat. I loose about 1-2" cause it sticks out a little, but well worth it. Good for all types of music. It can be loud...really loud if you want it or just regular. I would definatly go with an amp though. That is a must. It really makes the music sound great. Oh, I forgot to add that I installed some 1" tweeters on the upper part of my door panels. I would move the location if I did it again to upper rear panel behind the driver and passenger seats.

Quick Reply: Speaker Questions