2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 AM
robert97dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!!

I am about ready to set my ****in truck on fire!! I have been fighting with this damn thing and it is always something. I finally got my new converter in today so this evening I put the tranny in. Got it in and fired it up and it wouldnt idle so I figured the computer just needed to relearn how to idle. It was running different though. It was back firing and not running smooth at all. I couldnt hardly even rev it up over 2K RPMS. Finally aftre a while the check engine light came on so I went and rented a code reader. It is saying P0171 System too lean Bank 1. First of all what is bank 1? Does that mean one side of motor? I am running a 02 simmulator for my rear simm and I am thinking it may have something to do with that. It is only a few months old. I noticed the light on it was flashing instead of just staying on. Anyways any help is apreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:53 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: help!!!

What engine do you have?

Did you do anything else to the engine/drivetrain while you were waiting for the torque converter?

You mention it idling rough and not able to go over 2K. What exactly is it doing?

Do you remember if the torque converter had extra weights on it or not?

Just trying to get some extra info to help ya out here.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:08 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your new TC has a lower stall speed, that could be bogging down the motor as well.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:02 PM
robert97dodge
Professional

Torque converter has a stall of 2200. I am in park. I havent even put the truck in gear yet. It wont idle right. When I try to rev it up it just run rougher and back fires even more. And when I let it get below 1K it runs alot rougher too. If I keep it just a hair over 1K RPMS it is somewhat better but like I said I cant rev it up or anything. Last time the computer got reset and it needed to relearn how to idle it ran smooth and I could idle it up it just wouldnt idle on it owns. ALso it is a 5.2L 318. The tranny was just gone through and rebuilt and the new tourque converter is all that I have changed. Also while the tranny was out I took out the old tranny cooler and put a new one on. That is it though. There werent any extra weights on the converter it is the same as the first one they sent me.

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

What engine do you have?

Did you do anything else to the engine/drivetrain while you were waiting for the torque converter?

You mention it idling rough and not able to go over 2K. What exactly is it doing?

Do you remember if the torque converter had extra weights on it or not?

Just trying to get some extra info to help ya out here.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

P0171 is the code for 1/1 Fuel System to lean. That stands for Bank 1 of 1. Possible causes from a VERY reputable source. I took the ones that could be your problem.

1. Fuel pump bad, restricted fuel line. Check your fuel presure, should be 44-54 psi

2. Defective heated O2 sensor (HO2S)

3. Engine mechanical problem.

4. Also multiple sensors (TPS, IAC, CTS) I doubt its those.

My bet is on the O2 sensor screwing it up. Is this the first time you fired it up with that O2 sim in? Where did you get it from? New? Used? My bet is that the sim is giving the PCM a bogus reading making it run so lean that it can hardly even idle. I'd try letting it run with out the sim on there. Then I'd get ahold of whoever made the O2 sim and tell them your problem.

Don't hate the Dodge, hate the O2 sim!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:20 PM
robert97dodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

P0171 is the code for 1/1 Fuel System to lean. That stands for Bank 1 of 1. Possible causes from a VERY reputable source. I took the ones that could be your problem.

1. Fuel pump bad, restricted fuel line. Check your fuel presure, should be 44-54 psi

2. Defective heated O2 sensor (HO2S)

3. Engine mechanical problem.

4. Also multiple sensors (TPS, IAC, CTS) I doubt its those.

My bet is on the O2 sensor screwing it up. Is this the first time you fired it up with that O2 sim in? Where did you get it from? New? Used? My bet is that the sim is giving the PCM a bogus reading making it run so lean that it can hardly even idle. I'd try letting it run with out the sim on there. Then I'd get ahold of whoever made the O2 sim and tell them your problem.

Don't hate the Dodge, hate the O2 sim!
The simulator has been in there since july. I have ran the truck lots with that on there. I am running exhaust cut outs at times so that is why I went with the simmulator. I emailed the company I got it from but I havent got a response yet. It was new when I put it on. I was looking on there site though and it is saying that they are not gonna sell or waranty them anymore so I may not even be able to get them to replace it. I will try unhooking the simm.1 and reset the computer again and see what happens. Does anyone know where to get another simm that plugs into where the stock sensor went? I got this one from casperselectronics.com.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I know Dan sells them

www.thefastman.com

Old 10-27-2006, 01:32 PM
robert97dodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

I know Dan sells them

www.thefastman.com

He also closed until mid november. It must be nice to be able to close your business for a month. [:@]

Old 10-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Tani1500
Champion

rob dont lite it on fire ill come get it hmm bank one is the foward o2 sensor. when the CED light flashes it means the knock sensor picking up a missfire. i would just start checking all the basic stuff. plus, wires, timing. could be really ****ty gas since its been sitting for a while.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
robert97dodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: Tani1500

rob dont lite it on fire ill come get it hmm bank one is the foward o2 sensor. when the CED light flashes it means the knock sensor picking up a missfire. i would just start checking all the basic stuff. plus, wires, timing. could be really ****ty gas since its been sitting for a while.

I just put this gas in there a couple weeks ago. THe CHE light didnt flash it just came on. THere is a little light on my 02 simm that was flashing.