2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no f***ing doubt!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:23 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no f***ing doubt!!!!!!

well i went to change my front driver side axle seal out last night.. got the driver side hub and axle out.. got the differental cover out and oil drained.. got the passenger side axle out.. and went to take out the CAD to get the other part of the axle out.. (figuring in that at this point it has already taken 7+ hours to get this far).. and long and behold all 4 bolts holding the CAD on SNAP OFF!! so i went all that far for nothing.. i couldnt get that CAD out.. so i cant get the other part of the axle out.. so i cant get the carrier out to fix the driver side seal.. does anyone have any bit of info they can tell me about getting snapped off bolts out??? it took 7 hours just to get that far becuase for 1 we didnt have a big enough socket for the hub nut.. then when we did get it we ended up breaking a 1/2 inch breaker bar and socket wrench.. so i had to go back to my house to get a 3/4 inch breaker bar along with a 8 foot long 3 inch wide steel pole for enough leverage.. got the hub nut off and found out somebody put lock tite on it[:@] then it was another hour just beating the hub off.. but when those 4 bolts snapped i was pissed.. all that work for nothing.. well actually to look at the bright side it we did change the diff. fluid lol.. sorry im just venting out a very stressfull night.. started at 4pm and ended at 5:30am with a trip to the wafflehouse

Old 10-29-2006, 01:49 AM
dillonjm
Veteran
Default RE: no f***ing doubt!!!!!!

You only have a couple options. A Craftsman easy-out MAY work. Otherwise you're looking at drilling out those bolts and re-tapping.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:00 AM
Tani1500
Champion

wait so you still didnt get the Cad out? if your jam a flat head in there you should be able to pry it right off since the bolt is only threaded in the axle itself. too of mine are broken off and i just slide it over them and put the other 2 bolts in. works fine. also if you get it out the it will be easier to get the bolts out.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:22 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Thought of another idea, might be able to weld a new head on the broken bolts if there is some still sticking out of the axle housing. The heat from the welding may also help break them loose.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 PM
silverram99
Captain

I have welded nuts on to broken bolts before, get it tacked from inside the nut and then fill it in. Easier said than done, but it works.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

well the bolts are only about 1/4 inch to 3/8's.. something like that and they broke off right at the CAD so there is nothing sticking out.. they are in there good and i broke all 4 so i dont have any bolts to re-use.. so your saying i can just pry the CAD off the axle?? i think i might just have to drill out the holes and re-thread it.. thats gonna be a pain [:@]

Old 10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
timwag2001
All Star

autozone sells a kit for like $10. it comes with drill bits and drill bits that are like reverse corkscrews. you might be able to still get them out without too much trouble

Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

so your saying i can just pry the CAD off the axle??
I don't see why if all the bolts snapped, the CAD shouldn't come off with a little persuasion. Then like Tani said if your lucky and just snapped the heads off the bolts you may have a little of the bolt still sticking out of the housing once you get the CAD off.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:13 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

yeah true.. i might try that next weekend.. i've noticed today that it isnt the driver side leaking anymore.. its the passenger side?!?!? mustof screwed up the seal on that side putting it back in..

Old 10-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Park on a hill fora whole night to see if its leaking, then do the same for the next side. They could be both shot, mine ironitcally went at the same time.

Quick Reply: no f***ing doubt!!!!!!