2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Drive Shaft Question on a 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive Shaft Question on a 4X4

I just found out yesterday that the squealing sound I have been hearing is a bad U-Joint on the front driveshaft. I have two questions....One - Does the front driveshaft spin even though 4-wheel drive is not engauged? If it dosent, I cant see how I can hear if the u-joint is bad unless 4-wheel drive is engauged. And Two - I am going to attempt to remove the front drive shaft to see if the noise stops, is this hard to do? A basic how-to would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 PM
helmsa
Professional
Default RE: Front Drive Shaft Question on a 4X4

To take it off is just 8 bolts, 4 on each end.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:11 PM
k12allen
Professional

ORIGINAL: moparrtguy

I just found out yesterday that the squealing sound I have been hearing is a bad U-Joint on the front driveshaft. I have two questions....One - Does the front driveshaft spin even though 4-wheel drive is not engauged? If it dosent, I cant see how I can hear if the u-joint is bad unless 4-wheel drive is engauged. And Two - I am going to attempt to remove the front drive shaft to see if the noise stops, is this hard to do? A basic how-to would be appreciated. Thanks!
In 2WD, two things are disconnected: transfer case doesn't drive the front drive shaft and the right wheel is not connected to the front differential. The left wheel stays connected to the front differential, but without the right wheel connected, the front drive shaft could remain stationary. Somehow I think it will turn, although with almost no torque so I doubt bad front driveshaft U-joints would make much noise.

Seems to me that you would hear a big difference in a bad U-joint there depending on whether 4WD is engaged or not. Can you could go under the truck and twist the shaft to see if there is play in the U-joint?

Old 10-31-2006, 04:39 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

There is a little bit of a click when I push up and down on the drive shaft but no major play.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 PM
k12allen
Professional

ORIGINAL: moparrtguy

There is a little bit of a click when I push up and down on the drive shaft but no major play.
I'm outta my league, but what I do know tells me that any movement in a U-joint means it's a bad U-joint. Especially when it clicks. But wait for way more knowledgeable people to comment.

Allen

Old 10-31-2006, 06:22 PM
jakebrake
Champion

also push up on the yoke, if it still clunks its not the Ujoint. If there is any movement in the ujoint, it is bad and should be replaced

Old 10-31-2006, 07:33 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

There is no movement / noise on the differential side yoke. However, I can definitly feel movement on the head assembly yoke by the transfer case. But my main concern is I can hear the squealing coming from the front when in 2WD as well as 4WD.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need that entire double cardan joint replaced on your front propeller shaft. That center, double yoke assembly is what goes bad. It has some type ball bearing setup or something in the center. A lot of guys don't know it's there, actually. It's that center setup that's bad. Probably.....lol, don't quote me. They make a horrendous squeal that keeps perfect time if you hold the pedal in one place. Sounds like dull rubbing metal.

Good luck to ya.

AND PS...replace the front cardan joint at the same time, if you haven't already.

Adios!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

That sounds like what I have to do. You described the sound its making perfect, I hear it at all speeds over 10mph. I am still not clear on weather I should hear this sound when in 2WD since this u-joint in question is on the front drive shaft. What i am really asking is does the front driveshaft spin at all with the front wheels when 4WD is disengauged or does it only turn when 4WD is engauged. If it does not turn in 2WD, the sound is coming from somewhere else. I am having another shop take a look at it for a second opinion before I do anything.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:45 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

I got somebody to drive the truck while I looked to see if the driveshaft spun in 2WD and it dosent. So if this driveshaft dosent spin in 2WD, how is the u-joint making noise?

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft Question on a 4X4