2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do any programmers remove torque management?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:16 AM
05SilverHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any programmers remove torque management?

Do any of the programmers on the market remove the torque management or does this require a reflash of the PCM?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Do any programmers remove torque management?

I know the Hypertech does not remove it.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I've looked through detailed wiring diagrams of the ECU and have never see anything about the TM system. I'm gonna do some more check on it though.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

It's internal to the PCM (in the mode programming), so a wiring diagram probably wouldn't show anything. Torque management occurs when the PCM goes into Wide Open Throttle Mode, which is one of nine seperate modes that the PCM recognizes and has specific programming for. Once you enter Wide Open Throttle Mode, the PCM manages torque application by pulling ignition timing based on inputs it is getting from various sensors. Basically, it looks at the vehicle speed, rpm, auto tranmission gear selection, and other sensors inputs (MAP and TPS namely), and using a predifined algorithm, determines when to pull timing, which it does by turning the ground path to the coil on and off.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Oh, and incidentally, one of the inputs that is used to determine if timing is going to be pulled or not is the coolant temp. This is why torque management feels much worse when you are operating at max coolant temps (like when the ambient air temp is high and your engine is running with the t-stat open, or you are hauling a load or towing and your coolant temps are high, or your off-roading and the engine is at max operating temp).

This is one advantage of switching to a 180 tstat in my opinion.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Spartan
Rookie

I didn't wanna start a new thread on this but i was wondering what "torque management" is? From reading this post it sounds like it is the Stock PCM limiting the amount of torque/hp that the engine will produce but only at wide open thottle........Why would that be done? i am assuming it is mainly at low speeds?

Old 11-02-2006, 03:49 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It was my impression that Torque Management first showed up on the 45RFE and 5-45RFE transmissions and the 4.7 and especially 5.7 V8s.

I have never read of TM being used on the 3.9/5.2/5.9 V8s and the 46RH or 46RE series.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Spartan

I didn't wanna start a new thread on this but i was wondering what "torque management" is? From reading this post it sounds like it is the Stock PCM limiting the amount of torque/hp that the engine will produce but only at wide open thottle........Why would that be done? i am assuming it is mainly at low speeds?
Actually, it does the same thing in Cruise Mode too, so not just Wide Open Throttle Mode.

Why would that be done? Several reason I think, but mainly I think it is their attempt to extend the life of the drivetrain components. Limiting the amount of timing advance essentially keeps the full torque potential of the engine from being applied to the drivetrain all at once. This should, in theory, extend the life of your transmission, transfer case, driveshaft components, differentials, and also helps prevent overheating and excessive stress of the engine components. Another reason I think it is done is for fuel economy. Slowing working into the timing curve requires less fuel then a fully advance timing acceleration. Lastly, it is for generic public driveability. Without torque management of some sort, accelerations can be jolting (at least to the average driver who cares nothing about performance). TM eases the transfer of torque to the drivetrain more smoothly. Same reason auto transmission have extended shift slipping times- to slowly transfer energy to the wheels. To bad this actually generates excessive heat and decreases transmission life in the process, but hey shifts are smooth, so that is all that Joe Shmo consumer cares about.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: HankL

It was my impression that Torque Management first showed up on the 45RFE and 5-45RFE transmissions and the 4.7 and especially 5.7 V8s.

I have never read of TM being used on the 3.9/5.2/5.9 V8s and the 46RH or 46RE series.
The TM that I am refering to is probably not the same TM that you bring up in relation to engine/transmission torque management (and your right, that type of TM is not present in the 46RH, 46RE, and 47RE transmission platforms to my knowledge). What your talking about is probably were the term "Torque Management" is most commonly used, and probably most appropriate. What I am talking about is something that has become commonly known around these forums as torque management, and usually comes up when people talk about 2nd gen Ram PCM's. I don't know who started calling it that, but you won't find it in any service manual. A more accurate term might be timing management or even ignition control.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:21 PM
dirty dog
Professional

u have to get an aftermarket computer to have this removed

Quick Reply: Do any programmers remove torque management?