2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

marvel mystery oil, quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: quick questions about oil/atf change

Definitely change the filter every time! I use Fram, but I'm going to try something else just for the heck of it. I use Mobil 1 synthetic but I still change it every 3000 miles. Cheap insurance. Don't believe the people and products that claim to last 7k, 10k, 15k, whatever. Just change it every 3000 and you will be safer.....

Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 AM
ripto
Captain

Ok cool I think what I'm gunna do is this time do the oil change myself. I'll take 4.5 quarts of the exxon 10w30 and throw in the .5 quart of MMO and change the filter. I'll check out pep boys see what kind of filters they have. Next oil change I'll take it in and let them do what they normally do, maybe I'll take it down to I'll do it once, then take it in, then me, alternate, same some cash, even though I'm sure they do more than just change oil. I'm gunna leave the tranny stuff alone, I don't know enough about that.

So about the MMO, should I not leave it in their for another 3000 miles or will it be okay since its getting colder and don't need as thick an oil?

Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Ram Man 98
Rookie

Doing your tranny fluid is no harder than changing your oil! Save your money, do it yourself, save your tranny- do it soon. In a nut shell--- There is no drain plug for the tranny- just loosen slightly the front and side bolts of the tranny oil pan. Fluid will start to seep out slowly. Have a large oil pan, and plenty of newspaper- cardboard. (Wear old clothes, it can be messy) finally gradually loosen the bolts more, then loosen the back ones as well. NOW, carefully lower the pan- Use caution Bro, it is full of ATF ready to spill! Lower it down, drain it, clean off the magnet at the bottom of the pan . It is a ring- with sludge on it. Once clean, put it back where it goes, and clean out the pan. The filter is just 2 torx screws. Unscrew it, put in the new one. Replace the gasket on the tranny oil pan ONLY if it is the original cork one. The new one is better- made of plastic. Put back the pan - tighten the bolts (Approx.10 of em) and Refill with ATF +4. You fill it through the dipstick hole. REMEMBER- do not over fill. Check fluid at running TEMP- put the emergency brake on- slide the shifter through all gears a few times and back to N . Go check your fluid. There is alot of components in a tranny, alot of places for oil to cover, so check your fluid again after a bit of driving...It may be low. These trannys are fragile, but with some care, they can last. It is a very easy thing to do. i just did mine for the first time. I took it slow, to do it right, and I was done in just over 30 minutes or so. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2006, 02:02 PM
ripto
Captain

awesome nice write up, on the back of my manual it says ATF+3 to use, go with 4 anyway?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

yes go with 4... it's a better fluid.

also open up the shop manual and look at the torque spec for the pan. dont over torque it or you can damage the gasket (depends on what you use) and can leak. over-torquing it can also cause the pan to distort some which will also cause a leak.

your best bet is to invest in a larger pan with a drian plug. makes servicing much easier.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:57 PM
cdusthockey
Veteran

also i think the front band adjustment is inside the tranny correct me if im wrong, but you might want to make sure thats up to specs as well. Good luck, you wont need it for this though

Old 11-24-2006, 06:03 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cdusthockey

also i think the front band adjustment is inside the tranny correct me if im wrong, but you might want to make sure thats up to specs as well. Good luck, you wont need it for this though
You mixed em up. The front band is outside, the rear band is inside the transmission. It's ok though, we forgive you .
The V8s have the 46RE. The V6s have the 42RE:
[IMG]local://upfiles/948/3FBA65048E9A4384B8CC264ABE21D1C8.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2006, 04:32 AM
ripto
Captain

did the oil change today with my friend and his dad. really didn't know it was that quick and easy. oil wasn't that bad, been in it for about 3300 miles. we put in 4.5 quarts of exxon and .5 a quart of marvel mystery oil. so just to confirm, its safe to keep the mmo in until another 3000 miles or so right?

Quick Reply: marvel mystery oil, quick questions