2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

marvel mystery oil, quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:59 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marvel mystery oil, quick questions

I think I'm going to be changing my oil this week along with the tranny fluid, will be the first time for me doing this, the shop has done them for me in the past. I was wondering, with MMO and the oil, my dads got some quarts of Exxon superflow 10w30 oil. Is this okay to use, 4.5 oil and .5 quarts (maybe more towards 180z) of MMO? Or is there some other kind of oil I should be using?

How about tranny fluid? I'm guessing thats the "ATF" I've been seeing lately, any specific brands?

Old 11-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Ram Man 98
Rookie
Default RE: marvel mystery oil, quick questions

I have heard on here lots of great stuff about MMO, but can't find it in Canada??? As for the ATF, I use Mopar ATF +4 , from Dodge- but I am sure alot of guys hear will recomend Synthetic (Mobil 1 etc...) Make sure you get a new filter for your ATF fluid, and a new plastic gasket for your atf oil pan-( if you still have the stock cork gasket...) It is not a big job, but can be a bit messy. Keep extra newspaper, -cardboard to avoid staining your driveway! Good luck!

Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I used to run 4 quarts Amsoil and one full quart mmo in my engine, it was aesome. As for your tranny, use only ATF+4 or equivilant, no dexron/mercon!!! Amsoil has a great synth tranny fluid that I used.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 PM
ripto
Captain

do I have to replace the oil filter every change?

and is fram a good one to get?

what about the tranny fluid filter fram make one for that?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I've been running Fram but people on here said they suck so I'll probably start going with some from the parts store. Good idea to change the filter though every change. I dunno if Fram makes a filter for trannies, probably have to go to the parts store for that one.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:20 PM
ripto
Captain

how often do you have to change tranny fluid / filter? i was talkin to my friend about his and him and his dad are gunna be changing oil/atf this week and i was gunna do mine with them since i dont know how to do it and might as well save a few bucks. but then i was talking to someone else and he said yeah make sure you grease the fittings. how often do you have to replace the fluid/filter/regrease? i dont think my friend and his dad will be changing filter nor greasing so i'm unsure if i would just rather let the shop do it.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
nmason
Veteran

i grease everything along with every oil change. tranny fluid i only do once a year, but you really should do it more often than that. oil filter i use the new fram synthetic filter, holds more oil.

RAM MAN 98 - get MMO at canadian tire. its in there, red bottle. with all the other additives. i believe i also saw it a little cheaper at TSC

Old 11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
ripto
Captain
Default RE: quick questions about oil/atf change

what are some recommended brands, my friends told me they use fram, but then socha said they aren't that great

Old 11-19-2006, 11:56 PM
nmason
Veteran

i have always used fram filters, i just switched last oil change to their new high capacity synthetic filter. i also use mobile 1 synthetic engine oil. as for the transmission, i dont know whats int here, heh. told my mechanic to put in synthetic and he said no. hah, so its got plain oil with some additive that he swears by.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:10 AM
helmsa
Professional

REPLACE your filter every time that you do an oil change. The problem that is going to start arising with these new 5000-10000 mile oils, is that the filters aren't going to do much to clense the oil after about 4000 miles. The oil will hold up, but will be full of crap because the filter will be plugged and not functioning correctly.

Quick Reply: marvel mystery oil, quick questions