2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:15 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: brake problem

Along the drivers side, rear axle, you have a flex line that goes from the axle, to the frame. Where that flex line connects at the frame is where the hard line also connects. Get 2- 5 foot sections of brake line, joint them with a union, SECURELY, and fish it behind the tank. It's not worth the trouble to drop a tank. Just abandon the original line. Now hook one end to where the original line, and the flex line meet. Now you can work the other end as needed. I don't know if the remainder of your brake line is still useable? If not, add whatever extra length you need to plumb all new line up to the antilock valve.

Just my opinion, nothing else. If the line is bad, there's no need to dig it out. Just run a new one. You can ziptie the new line to the old in enough places to keep it from moving while you're driving. The old line is already secured to the frame. Leave it there.

Don't forget to bleed that pig!!!!...lol.

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 PM
quadro
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine about a month ago. I left the old one in there and just ran a new one.I think I used two 4' pieces and a 3'. just make the bends in the front, run it right sraight through inside the frame rail almost to the axle. tighten those joints first before you run it through. use the shorter piece, make the same bends in the back then connect to the long straight peice behind the gas tank. still a pain in the ***, but easier than trying to get old one out

Old 11-28-2006, 10:01 PM
jisthangin01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also did mine not so long ago. Easiest way is to move the gas tank. I'd run it a bit low first, just to make it easier to work on, but all i had to do was put the tank on a 2x4 on top of a jack, take the 2 straps off (Soak em in PB Blaster) and you should be able to pull the tank away from the frame to get your arm up there. I just cut the line and unscrewed it from the back, pulled i out and bent a new one by using the old line. flared the 2 ends on the truck just about under the rear of the cab, it seemed like the easiest place, and joined them together.
I suggest connecting the 2 flared ends under the cab and let it drip out the back before connecting it back to the block with the rubber hose attatched. When it drips out the back, connect by the rubber hose and than you might be able to get away with not bleeding them. I didn't have to bleed the rear brakes when i was done. I also removed the spare tire to get up by the block and i was able to sit up under there to work on the truck.

Quick Reply: brake problem