2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How are your Ram's tires doing in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How are your Ram's tires doing in snow?

wild country TXR's... do really well on the hard pack snow/ice stuff. usually push the 4wd to 55 the whole time. they work really well on the rain. dirt they are ok as i'm sure there is a better tire for dirt and mud out there. haven't run them in sand yet. probably will be an ok tire for the sand but nothing spectcacular. find out when i go to the dunes in the coming months.

usually run two to three 50 pound sand bags in the truck right up against the front of the bed. can't really keep them from sliding up there anyway.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to plug again. After the last week we've gotten about a foot of snow. These tires are doing absolutely amazing. They don't even compare to the Timberline A/Ts that use to be on my truck. The way these grab is quite impressive. They also don't come close to the Cooper Discovery A/Ts I had on the Jimmy before I had my truck.

With the old tires I could never back out of the driveway over the mound of snow from the plows or make it up the smallest hills and now I do those no problem in 2wd with very little wheel slippage. Its a 10 fold improvement.

Cornering is also great, the larger side lugs (but not to large) grab awesome. I was screwing around yesterday taking corners kinda fast and I was really impressed how little I would slip sideways while taking a sharp corner (like 90 degree) going pretty quick for snow.

Also was driving through 8" of snow yesterday in an unplowed parking lot no problem.

Another really surprising thing was on the way to class yesterday morning. My house mates and I take a back route so we don't have to go through the backed up intersection. Only problem is that theres a big steep hill right at the end. I turn the corner and see my buddy in his blazer stuck 1/2 way up burning his tires and going nowhere. I pull up next to him and his 4x4 wouldn't engage, so he said he was just gonna turn around and go the other way. So I hop back in my truck and from a dead stop on the hill up I go with very limited slippage. Yes I was in 4wd, but not having hardly any slippage really surprised me. I love them

Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just looking at those tires, you can see that they would do well pushing snow, slush, or water out to the edges so you have decent contact patch. The void space is pretty wide, so should be decent in mud and slush too. They also have a good amount of siping for ice, escpecially in that center area.

Quick Reply: How are your Ram's tires doing in snow?