2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How are your Ram's tires doing in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:43 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How are your Ram's tires doing in snow?

What size/make tires are either doing well
or poorly
in snow and ice driving?

If you are carrying extra weight in the pickup bed
be sure to mention how much
and where in the bed.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How are your Ram's tires doing in snow?

Yokohama Geolander ATs are doing awesome. Way better than the Timberline ATs I had. 300 lbs in bed plus all the stuff in my tool box. Probably 75-100 more pounds.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running BFG AT's that do very well in the snow and wet pavement, and average on ice. I carry about 400lbs in the bed total (sand bags + misc + tonneau). I have tried more and less weight, and found this to be about the best amount for good balance and feel. The bulk of the weight (sand bags) are positioned directly over and a tad forward of the rear axle. You should never put the weight at the end of the bed by the tailgate as that will have a pendulum affect when you do start to lose control of the rear. It will want to swing out harder, and be more difficult to bring back in, if all your weight is out to that far point.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:28 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very worn Nokian Ventura's SUCK chocolate salty *****.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:33 PM
helmsa
Professional

Cooper Discover S/T...I have mine in 285s, but they run great all around...mud, snow, rain, gravel...Haven't been on sand yet, but I imagine they will run just as good there too.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:42 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

I have a set of the Bridgestone Dueler REvo's on my Ram. I dont run any extra weight in the rear and the truck handles about as good as you would expect it to with nothing in the rear. The tires are increadible to say the least. They are rated up in the realm of BFG A/T KO's but priced far less.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: helmsa

Cooper Discover S/T...I have mine in 285s, but they run great all around...mud, snow, rain, gravel...Haven't been on sand yet, but I imagine they will run just as good there too.
Come on dude, try to be a little more objective. No tire is "great" in every condition. That's just the nature of tires. If they were, there would be no need for different types of tires. Cooper would apparently put every other tire manufacturer out of buisness because they have apparently created the perfect tire in the form of the Discoverer S/T. [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

It's easy to say that your stuff works perfect in all conditions, but all that really tells me is that you:

- are exaggerating,
- don't want to admit that you have something that is not ideal in some way,
- have no experience with other tires, so you assume that yours is "great" in all conditions without knowing what "great" really is,
- are unable/unwilling for some other reason to give an answer that is less generic and more objective and detailed (so that it is actually helpful to those reading it).

Old 12-01-2006, 09:53 PM
nmason
Veteran

the stock firestone 275 whatever tires on my truck were horrible in the snow. they were ok in year 1, but after that, *****.

now im running 265 Pacemark SnowTrakker tires. commuted all last winter on them with no weight in the back and they were great. all 4 tires mounted, balanced, and an amazing wheel cleaning ran me under $700. i cant remember exactly who makes pacemark, either continental or general i beleive. but they are great. no complaints about them at all. and they look pretty good, nice looking tread. even performed well on ice.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 AM
cvec7
Professional

I'm running generic studded snow tires on my truck. 16" rim, 265 tire size. Great for the 6" of unplowed snow, was able to go 45 in the snow on the way to school this morning, no problem at all.
P.S.- I live in Anchorage, Alaska.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 AM
quadro
Rookie

I got TrailCutter M/T for the winter. They are pretty good in the snow, last year I barely used 4 wheel drive. They are ok in the rain, ggod enough to not really worry about them, and on dry pavement you just feel the lugs a little more when turning. They are 265 but they are a little narrower than most, i think thats why they are so good in the snow

Quick Reply: How are your Ram's tires doing in snow?