2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Some A-HOLE broke into my truck and ripped out my ignition!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:46 PM
iamkidc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some A-HOLE broke into my truck and ripped out my ignition!

[sm=smiley7.gif]

Last night @ 2am I walked out to my truck to drive home from my girlfriends house, and found my truck had been broken into. The rear sliding glass window had been forced open, my center console was searched, and my ignition had been completely RIPPED OUT along with the plastic housing around it! The only thing I found missing was my leatherman tool, pen light, and stopwatch that I keep on a separate keychain for work. Also less than $1 worth of change out of my center console. All of the doors were still locked, and the only damage to the exterior of the truck is on the rear sliding window where the lock had been forced from the outside. The thing I don't get is how anyone could fit though the sliding back window with my toolbox in the way. It must have been a teenager. The scary part is, I get the feeling this isn't the first time they have tried to steal a vehicle... I still can't believe someone would actually try to steal my truck. I was parked in the driveway in a nice neighborhood, with plenty of newer, nicer vehicles around. My g/f's dad's 2006 Ford F150 was parked right next to mine and it was unlocked (as usual)... Nothing was even touched on his truck, or anyone else on the street. This THIEF is lucky I didn't catch him in the act, because I would have put a good ole' southern *** whoopin on him.

Anyways, I have two questions. 1) What is it going to cost me to replace the ignition, all the plastic, and housing around the steering column? 2) Provided I have any money left over after fixing the damage that this A-HOLE did, What protection/prevention product(s) or alarm system would you recommend I purchase... or add to my christmas list.

- Robbie

Old 12-04-2006, 09:04 PM
timwag2001
All Star
Default RE: Some A-HOLE broke into my truck and ripped out my ignition!

is your glass covered by your ins?
now this is ins fraud and i dont recommend doing it but if you smash out your rear window you can say that the cargo shifted and it busted your window. my ins covered it. not too sure about the ignition but i bet you could get the plastic for the column at a junkyard.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:37 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

would your insurance cover a break in?? or do you just have liability like me.. i'd break the back glass and say the theif did it lol. i could really get a alarm system for your truck. see if they actually make locks for rear windows too

Old 12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
erikb45
Veteran

that sucks man good luck![:@]

Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Here's where you can get new parts ... pretty cheap too: "http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214096&chapter= DR3TA94&appSectionid=2561&groupid=51860&subgroupid =2336&componentid=59003&make=8&model=1500 ram pickup&year=1997&graphicID=TA94520&callout=12&cata logid=2"

Copy and paste the entire link from INSIDE the quotes (omit the quotes) ... I couldn't just paste the link because it has spaces in it.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:47 PM
iamkidc

thanks for the link.

I only have liability insurance. It is through Allstate, and my dad is actually the one that wrote my policy (he is an allstate agent) so the whole breaking the glass thing is out.

I guess I'm just going to add an alarm system now... any sugestions?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
kstroeher
Professional

If they ripped out the ignition I would bet that they were trying to steal the truck, maybe you interrupted them!

Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 AM
iamkidc

Yup...
ORIGINAL: iamkidc
... I still can't believe someone would actually try to steal my truck...
It happened sometime between 7:30pm and 2am. All while I was inside the house less than 100 ft away!

Old 12-05-2006, 04:48 AM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For the Record, Dodges are easier to break into than Fords. (any most others)

Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
97360SPORT

Your not the only one it happened to me 2 weeks ago. They pryed under the passengers side door handle tearing up the metal in the door. He destroyed my colum, ignition swicth, cylinder and tumbler. Heres what it took to get the truck running again.

Ignition switch $60 Autozone
Cylinder w/ tumbler $60 15% off regular price NAPA
Upper and lower colum covers $20 ea Dealer

If you do not have you will have to purchase the tamper resistant torx bits youll need a #20 to remove the old switch. I had to replace the ignition control fuse under the hood Im assuming he shorted it while driving his screw driver into the ignition switch. I think thats the only reason he didnt get it. And yes he is very fortunate I did not catch him in the act cause here in Texas after dark you can kill a person to protect your property and I probably would have.

Quick Reply: Some A-HOLE broke into my truck and ripped out my ignition!