2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Severe brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Blue2k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe brake problem

The brake line in my 2000 Ram ruptured today above the gas tank. I was driving around a parking lot, when all of a sudden my brake pedal went to the floor. When the pedal is depressed a steady stream of fluid comes out. Does anyone know if there is a recall for this sort of problem? I've had nothing but problems with the brakes on this thing. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:03 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Default RE: Severe brake problem

Don't believe there is a recall but from the number of people that have experienced that problem on this site alone ... there should be one. That's where the line rots out ... right above the gas tank.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Blue2k

I've tried searching advance and autozone for the part, but all they seem to have are the rubber hoses that run from the main line to the calipers. The section of line that rots out, is it rubber or metal? Also, do you have to drop the gas tank to get to it?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 AM
timwag2001
All Star

im pretty sure that its metal. havent had the problem but heard plenty of posts.

someone here said that they got a new section of line and bypassed the broken part. makes it a lot easier then trying to remove the whole thing.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Yeah, it's metal. Diesel Demon should chime in shortly and give you a run down on how to fix it. I believe it was he that just ran a new line and left the old one in there. Shouldn't have to drop the tank that way.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:47 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya just cut the line one each side of the gas tank, and replace the line with new, happened like a week after i got my truck

Old 12-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Blue2k

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Is the line that needs replacing something I can buy over the shelf, or do I need to just buy a long section of line and cut it myself? The reason I'm asking is that my truck is stranded in a parking lot away from my house; so I don't have it to look at for reference at the moment.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:07 AM
Chopper1
All Star

It should be a 3/16 line. Take it loose at the rear where it connects to the fitting and cut it where it is easily accessable and in good shape in front of the tank. Take it with you and get a hard line that will scew into the rear fitting and is long enough to reach the front section. Need a double flaring tool for the connection in the front where you cut the original line. You can either use the old fitting from the rear or get a new one to put on the front section. Just make sure to put the fitting on before flaring the end. Sounds simple, but most of us have done it with the fitting on the floor atleast once. They make a double flare coupling to tie the lines together. Most Autozone, Advance don't have the coupling, but the real auto stores do. Have seen some use the compression fittings that Autozone or Advance might have, but I wouldn't. Good for water line to the fridge though. If the line is a little long, you can always give it a few bends to get to fit. Easier than a tubing stretcher.

Have fun...........

Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Matt Harwood
Professional

When my truck was at the stealership having other unrelated work done, they said the brake lines just rusted out and started leaking on their floor. WTF? So they replaced the entire hardline setup. Surprisingly, the front and rear metal brake lines from Mopar cost like $89 each. For that money, I'd just replace the whole line front to back. There's a reason it ruptured. For some reason, Dodge brake lines tend to rust pretty quickly.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Tani1500
Champion

yea happend to me too, i got stainless lines a put them in. there really should be a recall, this is rediculous

Quick Reply: Severe brake problem