2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Barrett Jackson...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barrett Jackson...

I was wondering if any of you guys watch the Barrett Jackson auction. There was just a Hummer that was redone by Overhaulin'. The Hummer belonged to CNN and undertook alot of fire. All the proceeds went to Fisher House. The Hummer went for $1,000,000 and another guy donated $250,000 on top of that!!! I think that is amazing, and i love seeing stuff like this happen. I know this has nothing to do with second generation rams.

[sm=patriot.gif]

Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Barrett Jackson...

Thanks for the update on that [8D]. Saw the Overhaulin Hummer show and was wondering how much it would go for. I have been watching BJ but must have missed the Hummer.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:20 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there was a tv episode on the discovery channel about one builder that went to junk yards and searched on the internet for projects and he was turning a car over every month for the barret auction. i cant remember his name but he had some sick cars and truck. had some guy chris as his project manager. also the owner looked like he got hit in the head with a bat at a young age. or still had bad acne

Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

im watchin that right now its fun to watch. missed the hummer but saw it at the bottom of the screen as the high seller

Old 01-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Dutch114

did you catch the 66' cobra that went for $5 million. It was the most expensive used car ever. The dude who bought it was Ron Pratt, from chandler AZ. The guy has a collection within 20 miles of where I live. I have been trying to due some research. I would love to see his collection. He also owns the GM futureliner ($4 Million) and concept car ($3.? million) that were the top two highestever, that is before this year. That guy has a sick collection though!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Morgans01RAM

If I had the money to out bid him I would have.that was carrol shelbys personal car. I hope i can afford a piece of automotive history like that some day.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy
I have been watching BJ but must have missed the Hummer.
Dude, do you realize what you just said?

I like to watch Barrett Jackson, but unfortunatly I think it is helping to make the collector car hobby, escpecially muscle cars and pony cars, become out of reach for the average Joe. For example, when Shelby and Boss Mustangs sell for over $200,000, that has a trickle down affect to the rest of the hobby. Next thing you know, Mach 1's that used to be found for less then 10k are all over 30k now. Good luck finding a '67 or '68 fastback for under 20k that isn't a basket case. Any of the good 428 or 390 cars are becoming stupid expensive too. Only thing an average guy can buy these days for less then 10k is a beat up coupe with a straight six or basic 289.

It wasn't that way 5-10 years ago. Back in '99, I picked up my 351 Mach 1 for $8000, and it was in very good shape. Sold it for 12k about 4 years later. If I had hung onto it till today, I could probably have gotten close to 20k for it. No way I could find another one in the shape mine was in when I bought it for $8k today.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Barret Jackson is for people with more money than brains. Those of us in the VW world both laugh and cringe at the so-called Vintage Volkswagens that are auctioned for large amounts because the cars are incorrect in many ways. The end result is that the average idiot then thinks that because a "pristine" vehicle sells for high dollars at Barrett Jackson that the turd in their driveway is now worth a small fortune. It takes about 4 months before reality settles in with these idiots when the vehicle they are trying to sell doesn't get so much as a nibble.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, that's exactly what i'm talking about. I figured it was happening elsewhere besides Mustangs. I shut if off the other night after a pair of clone Shelby GT500E (like Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds) sold for over 90k each. They weren't even real Shelby mustangs to begin with, only plain old '67/'68 fastbacks, and one had a 351 Windsor in it. What a joke. The car was basically a knock off of a movie knock off of a real car............for 90K.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Yup, that's exactly what i'm talking about. I figured it was happening elsewhere besides Mustangs. I shut if off the other night after a pair of clone Shelby GT500E (like Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds) sold for over 90k each. They weren't even real Shelby mustangs to begin with, only plain old '67/'68 fastbacks, and one had a 351 Windsor in it. What a joke. The car was basically a knock off of a movie knock off of a real car............for 90K.
I hear ya. One of the guys in the VW world just finished a ground up restoration on his GTO Judge. He posted a link from a muscle car forum where guys were arguing over the validity of taking the VIN from a completely trashed out 1969 Dodge Charger that could, in no way be restored (it has been sitting in the weather for over 25 years) and welding that VIN into a completely different Charger, but making that Charger match all of the options as it came from the factory. Many of us stated that would be outright fraud and not a restoration, because you're taking a vehicle and making it what it isn't. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people buying fake RS/SS Camaro's, fake GTO's, etc. Muscle cars are not a good investment, and the uneducated person gets ****ed on spending a ton of cash.

Quick Reply: Barrett Jackson...