2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

problem....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM
red98ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem....

im having a anoyying problem, ever time i let the truck sit for 2 or 3 days the battry dies....i had it changed once because i didnt know if it was just the batry but now i know its somthing drainen on it... anyone got an idea what it could be?
its just a pain to have to through the charger on for 15-20 mins when u wana drive it

Old 01-29-2007, 06:42 PM
mojo
Professional
Default RE: problem....

Do you have stereo equip., cell phone charger any thing pluged in on the inside?Are you turning the ignition completely off or is it broke like mine and you can pull the key out before you put it in the lock position. Lights, accessories any of them staying on? is your dome light blown but the switch still on? Look for any parasitic draw if there is alot of greese between the terminals that will drain the battery by itself. Did youreplace the battery with a new one? Where did you buy it, maybe you ca take it back and have it tested it could have been damaged internally and it won't keep acharge.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
red98ram
Professional

thanks for the quick reply... its a interstate and i replaced the bettery cables also... the only thing that appears to be on is a little red light on the radio about the size of a period ( . ) its like hard wired in so it dont turn off with the key but i dont see how that would draw the battry that quick, and all the interior lights work and they shut off so its not them...

Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

something is drawing amperage to drain the battery down. the draw is not a dead short, since you are not blowing a fuse. its most likely a rusty bulb or a bulb socket or trailer wiring. try either of these approaches.
fast way.. you should be able to put a multimeter in series with the circuit at the fuse block and measure dc current draw in milliamps. but i just tried it and my cheap meter doesn't measure current and my better one does but i couldn't get the probes into the fuse slot and its cold as hell outside so i gave up till a warmer day.

slower method, pull and clean all the bulbs and check the sockets for excessive grease or corrosion, clean with sandpaper and put a light coat of dielectric grease on them and see it if helps.

very slow way.....this is going to be a long running science project, so have some patience.
with the battery fully charged, disconnect either of the battery cables and let it sit for a couple of days and prove that the battery stays charged.
next time you park it, remove the fuses for headlight, parking lights, trailer lights, backup lights, dome lights, radio, amp, etc. and let it sit for a couple of days. if battery stays charged, it was one of those circuits. if battery goes dead, then cross those fuses off the list and try some others. once you can get the circuit identified, inspect/troubleshoot the wires, bulbs, etc. its still most likely a bulb socket or screwed up wiring where the dogs been chewing on it.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:20 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

could be your stereo too.. they keep a constant power source on all time to maintain memory.. if that circuit is starting to go haywire it could be causing it as well.. the other thing is.. if it has the anti theft light on it.. its after market.. did you put an aftermarket amp in? if so.. check it.. alot of amps will do that.. if it IS the amp.. put a toggle switch on it.. and did you have the factory amp disconnected.. bypassed? if its disconnected great.. if its bypassed.. not being used.. disconnect it..

Old 01-29-2007, 08:25 PM
82CSMiata

another way is to have everything off, put a multimeter measuring voltage (possibly a test light) in between the ground cable and the battery, now go through pulling one fuse at a time and reinstalling them until you find the one with a voltage drop (dimmer light). Then you will know what circuit the parasitic draw is on at least. Then investigate that circuit. The test light will light up regardless due to the things in the truck, it will just get dimmer or brighter. That is why it is better to use a multimeter.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 PM
timwag2001
All Star

ive heard from a couple people around here that the glovebox light can stay on when you have it closed. you never see it and it drains the battery.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 PM
red98ram
Professional

thanks for the replys guys, i just bought the truck and it has an aftermarket radio its like a jvc or somthing but i dont have no amps or anything... the once weird thing is sometimes my powerseat works and sometimes it dont... so i was thinking that or even after i shut the truck off if i turn the whipers on they will go? is that normal for dodges because my chevy dont do it...

Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
timwag2001
All Star

if your wipers move with the key out of the ignition, thats not good

Old 01-29-2007, 08:53 PM
red98ram
Professional

hmm this sucks lol...