2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fifth Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:18 PM
landarch96
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fifth Wheels

Ok, here's a couple questions for you fifth wheel guys...

We're going to get a camper and I'd like a fifth wheel because of theinherent advantages (manuverability, storage space, etc). However, here are my two dilemas...
[ol][*]My truck sits too high for the bed to slide under the front of the fifth wheel. I've seen a couple "lift kits" for 5th wheel trailers to solve the problem but I guess I'm a little leary of them because they're basically just blocks without any other mods.I can't seem get any straight answers from the camper dealers so mayby you guys can help me out. Do the kits affect the top heaviness or sway of the trailer on the road? Do the lift blocks put additional stress on the stock springs and cause problems?[*]The second dilema is that I do a lot of hauling with my truck. I would obviously take out the fifth wheel when not using it and I know there are models with flush mounting tracks. However, it seems like they would collect a bunch of crap in the tracks and be a general pain in the a. Any suggestions or 5th wheel recommendations would be appreciated.[/ol]
Anyway, I'd really like to go with a 5th wheel but because of the two items above may wind up going with a 30-32' ball hitch trailer. Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional
Default RE: Fifth Wheels

I've got a 30'6" 5th that I tow behind my 99 v10. I'm not entirly sure why your truck won't go under a 5th unless you have a HUGE lift kit. If that is the case, I would stay away from a 5th. However, even a truck with a modest lift kit should still work with a 5th because the hitchs that sits in the boxcan be adjustedplus newer 5th wheels tounges (or what ever the hitch part on the5th is called) can also be adjusted. If you can get it to work you will be happy because my 30' 5th is equal to towing a 25' trailer, the room I lost in the box I've made up for with locked storage in the 5th. When I need to haul junk I throw the box linerin the truck, it doesn't fit flush but it keeps crap out of theC channel where the hitch mounts.Hope that helps a bit.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:21 PM
landarch96
Rookie

Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. The hitch part does adjust like you said and would work fine. My problem is the top of the bed sides will just barely slide under the bottom of the bunk so there isn't really any room for the trailer to articulate up and down hills. I could adjust the fifth wheel hitch up but then the a. end of the trailer would about be dragging on the pavement.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

I just had a look at some picture of my truck towing my 5th and there really isn't much room between the bed and the 5th. Looks like 6-10 inchs. I can e-mail a pic to you if you want.I don't go off roading and if you are looking at a 30 plus foottrailer I really don't think you planning to goback woods camping either.The older 5th do requirelift kit but I think the new 5th are designed to fit beter behind an modern truck.I'm a bigfan of 5th wheels, I love howmanuverable they are and how big inside they are. I hope you can find one that works for you and your truck.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM
tseran

I have a 1995 RAM 2500 Cummins Automatic 4x4. It too sits high, but i don't think there's a lift kit installed, it is just higher than normal.
So, when I connected the 30' NuWa 5th wheel, it did not ride level. So I reversed the axles on the trailer. all is well and it trailers very nicely. The truck bed is high, but that's the trade off we live with when we own 4WD trucks.
Hope this helps you out.
Tony

Old 02-05-2007, 03:45 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I have not modded the suspension on my truck but I have at least 8 inches between my bed rails and the bottom of my fifth wheel, 2003 28 1/2 foot Forest River Grand Surveyor. I have a basic fifth wheel hitch that does allow side to side and front to back swivel, but it's nothing spectacular. Also I don't have a slider, it mounts to bed rails permanently mounted in the bed.

When I haul something I use a beat up piece of plywood. It keeps most everything out of the rails and prevents them from accidently getting damaged.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Theres a TSB about this. They made a "curb height lowering kit" for the rears, replaces the stock suspension block with a 1 7/8" shorter one.

2500 Part Number: 05066072AA

3500 P/N: 050660073AA

Old 02-05-2007, 09:12 PM
kayakman
Veteran

Hi there Landarch96, I have been towing since1991and fifth wheel camping trailersonly. First Truck a 87 S-10 ( hypertech chip) and a 22 ft. fiver, 91 Dakota and a 22ft fiver and now a 98 ram with a 22ft fiver.

The most easiest to gain height is to flip your leaf springs on your trailer, from on top of axles to under the axles. This means relocating the u-bolt bracket from top to the bottom, any large RV center would know of this method. RV mags give detailed pics of this as well.

Some trailers have this adjustment the old fashion way with adjustable shackles to give lift, like the '60s muscle car.

Hope this was some help for you.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:25 AM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

Theres a TSB about this. They made a "curb height lowering kit" for the rears, replaces the stock suspension block with a 1 7/8" shorter one.

2500 Part Number: 05066072AA

3500 P/N: 050660073AA
Lowering a 4X4 sounds sooo wrong!

Quick Reply: Fifth Wheels