2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

powertrax noslip for rear - yes or no ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Terran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: powertrax noslip for rear - yes or no ?

I'm wondering where you guys are getting this info about turning in with lockers. Yes turning with a lockers is not-so-easy as you get one wheel that assdrags, but that's the whole point. The axles' are locked together for the best traction so although there is a difference in speed, they keep spinning no matter whats under them, clawing for whatever little traction they can get. And really, if being in 4x4 is going to affect your turning because of too much friction on the surface, you probably don't need to be in 4x4.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:42 AM
zique
Captain

So I got the powertrax in today and was excited enough that I forgot about my homework and installed the no-slip system. I have to wait for the sealant to cure before I fill it back up, so I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. But as for the install...Super Easy!!! I was worried since I'd never even opened up a diff before, but it went smoothly and was done in a little over an hour. I'll give it a test tomorrow and let ya'll know what my impressions are.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:12 PM
zique
Captain

One word...Awesome! I obviously haven't had an extensive field test, but for the short little drive I just took, it was great! Did a burnout...both wheels! Took a little trip on a super muddy (rolling hills) road back behind my house...great! It does change how it handles off-road as far as throwing you side-ways, but I expected that. As for the on-the-road experience, I could barely even tell it was there until I pulled some tight turns in a parking lot and heard the wheel chirp. I never heard the unit locking or unlocking though. It all seemed quite smooth.

I must also add though, I don't think the fluid in my diff was ever changed and I'm now running Mobil 1 full synthetic with this install, so that may add a little to the pleasure I'm feeling with my truck now...hehe.

either way, I still give the Powertrax the majority of the credit. Now hopefully it will hold up over time.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:13 PM
zique
Captain

Oh, and I would've posted pics of the install, but it really was super easy and straight forward. I figured there was no need for a write-up because it would just end up looking exactly like Powertrax installation instructions anyway.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok i want one.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Rusty Nurf Bar

What are you guys referring to when you say "wheels chirping"?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 AM
red98ram
Professional

i think it means when u turn sharp sence that axle is locked the inside tire will chirp, kinda like if u turn on tar in 4x4 it will bind up and chirp somtimes or just spin a tire..

Old 02-22-2007, 12:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

this is advertised as a mild-mannered locker. unlike an open or limited slip, the 2 rear wheels are locked together with spring pressure. when you travel in a straight line, they stay locked. when you turn, the outside wheel must travel faster than the inside wheel. the unit stays locked until the pressure overcomes the springs, which release the lock with a slight chirp or tick. a more agressive locker will make louder clicks or ratchet sounds. its not really the tires chirping from slippage. see their web site for more.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:15 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

ok, this is my next project. linex will have to wait.
on order from Performance Off Road Center (PORC). $404.62 shipped.
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....;filter_id=644

Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 AM
junkman306
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

ok i want one.
X2! If zique has never opened a diff and said it was so simple that he didn't need to post pics I so gonna go for it.

Quick Reply: powertrax noslip for rear - yes or no ?