2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque converter lockup problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
DevaRoh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter lockup problems

hey there all, i have done a couple of searches and no luck finding a similar problem to what i have.
here is my issue, when im driving my 95 ram 1500 5.9 4x4 and the tranny is cold, i reach 45-50 and the converter locks up fine and even on the highway at higher speeds, if its still cold, it locks up. when it gets warm and i drive around town or highway it doesnt lock up and i can watch the tranny temps just rise and rise and only fall when i am very lightly on the gas or off the pedal all together and just coasting.

i haveread something like this in the searches i found, saying something about the tps being bad or the tranny temp sensor acting up. could one of these be my issue and a quick simple fix or am i looking at something more serious.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:13 AM
DevaRoh
Default RE: torque converter lockup problems

anyone??? im thinking maybe the tps after driving tonight and noticing when i would get up to around 50 or so with the converter still unlocked and then just pull my foot right out of it, the rpms would drop to where they would be if the converter would lock and then instantly shoot right back up a couple hunderd rpm's

does this sound right to anyone?

Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Dirty/bad TPS, bad/misadjusted brake light switch, and make sure the grounds are intact. Battery cables connections, body panel grounds, etc.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:10 AM
DevaRoh

thanks ill look into those this upcomming weekend when i get it up in the air to change the tranny, transfercase, and diff. fluids. also plan on resetting the bands on the tranny. just put the truck through the first hell of the season...first big snow storm here in New England this winter

Quick Reply: torque converter lockup problems