2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

[PICS: dial-up warning] Wreck, Fender, Bumper Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:16 AM
dslben
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: [PICS: dial-up warning] Wreck, Fender, Bumper Questions...

Sorry about the misfortune. You are on the right track, however, the front end is not welded together, the bolts you have pointed to are the dismantling bolts, plus a few that might be a little harder to find. The fender assy is 2 piece, the outer fender and the inner fender. To separate these, you have to drill the spot welds out and reweld it to the new fender. This is done along a seam that runs inside and under the electric fuse box, and up to the front where it attaches to the radiator support on the bottom. If you take your time, make sure you weld clean metal to metal,use clamps, or small metal screws to hold the 2 panels together as a unit when you weld them, grind the paint away from weld spots, you should be ok. You will however have to remove the main electrical fuse box and brake assly and other accessories from the inner fender to remove it but only remove them as a complete assly, ( leave wires attached, and lines attached to the brake assly) and just lift out of the way, mabe tie them back with some wire. good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:08 AM
gpflepsen

ORIGINAL: dslben

Sorry about the misfortune. You are on the right track, however, the front end is not welded together, the bolts you have pointed to are the dismantling bolts, plus a few that might be a little harder to find. The fender assy is 2 piece, the outer fender and the inner fender. To separate these, you have to drill the spot welds out and reweld it to the new fender. This is done along a seam that runs inside and under the electric fuse box, and up to the front where it attaches to the radiator support on the bottom. If you take your time, make sure you weld clean metal to metal,use clamps, or small metal screws to hold the 2 panels together as a unit when you weld them, grind the paint away from weld spots, you should be ok. You will however have to remove the main electrical fuse box and brake assly and other accessories from the inner fender to remove it but only remove them as a complete assly, ( leave wires attached, and lines attached to the brake assly) and just lift out of the way, mabe tie them back with some wire. good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I mighttry for a used fender from a scrap yard. What are the chances of finding a straight white fender complete? That'd be sweet. The inner fender looks to be mangled pretty good above the tire.. It looks like the inner and outer fender come out cleanly after the bolts are removed and the batterybox, ABS controller and other stuff is removed from the inner fender.

The Corvette is a '99 Hardtop. Some track time, but not anymore. Oh, the fun days

Old 02-26-2007, 02:17 AM
dslben

That would be the ideal way, Good luck, they are about as rare as hen's teeth.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 AM
dslben

I'm sorry, for some reason, my profile picked up on your "slogan" "backseat driver" for the life of me I don't know how. I will do what I can to correct it, if anyone knows how, let me know. thanks []

Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 AM
gpflepsen

I think the Back Seat Driver is assigned by the forum software. I had nuttin' to do with it. I guess that's better than Tenderfoot, or Baby Ram Driver...

So fenders are a rare commodity? Sounds like a challenge

Old 03-11-2007, 01:11 AM
gpflepsen

An update: The next business day after the above postings I went to the local salvage yard and found a white '97 ram willing to donate the left front fender. It has a slight dimple of a dent and a paint peeling problem, just like the box of my truck. What a perfect match!!!

Well, $60 for a fender and $120 for a new headlight assembly along with about 2.5 hrs work has this little fixer-upper complete.

The fender is indeed an all one piece welded assembly of the wheelhouse and outer fender. It is a pretty simple fix;
[ul][*]remove tire and plastic wheel liner[*]unbolt the battery holdown[*]unbolt the crash sensor[*]remove two relays from the inner fender[*]unbolt about 15 fender mounting bolts and remove[*]reassemble everything[/ul]
Thanks for the info on my original questions. I'll take some pics of the old fender so you can see where the bolt mounts are located. They are all easily accessible.

Quick Reply: [PICS: dial-up warning] Wreck, Fender, Bumper Questions...