2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Misfire Kenne Bell HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Misfire Kenne Bell HELP ASAP

Lost compression, if lucky is only a head gasket, could be a bent valve, busted valve spring or rings on thatcylinder as well.

As far as headgaskets go,Felpro, Cometic MLS are both good. I’ve got a set ofICS Titans (MLC)so I can crank up the boost on my 408. (when all back together) They have seals and built in o-rings.

When you say flaming hot, do they actually glow? Is the color even from #2 all the way back to #8?At the top by the heads or down towards the back of the headers?
When my cats have failed, I have never had a glowing header. I’m on my 3rd cat (2nd h/f) and ran one h/f gutted for a couple years.

Sounds like passenger bank of cyl’s are running excessively lean and the computer is compensating but only 1, 3, 5 & 7 are seeing the fuel. They are running way too rich(fuel smell from exh).

Kenne Bell computer could of crapped out
Could have a blocked fuel rail on the passenger side
Injectors could be blocked by debris in the fuel rails
Wiring harness or electrical connectors to the injectors maybe failing

Probably best to not drive it till you can resolve the issues. If it’s a daily driver, limits its use as much as you can. Unfortunately Kenne Bell has a poor record when it comes to Dodge Magnum engines and Ive heard others complain about the tuning issues in the past.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be a valve problem, also are the heads still the stock 360 heads, could be a crack in the head. Also when did you buy this because the Lemon Law could still be in effect, you should not have had to spend the $700+ after you bought it to fix a problem that was there when you bought it. The seller has to fix the problem and i believe, at least here is Mass, that the seller can only make you pay a maximum of $100 for whatever problems you have.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

take off the hood and cruise arround, all problems will be solved
jk dont drive it till you figgure it out. i wish i could help ya, but im not that good with diognosing fuel/timing issues, which is what it sounds like. post some pics of the truck, sounds cool.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 PM
BLOWNSS/T
Rookie

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

Lost compression, if lucky is only a head gasket, could be a bent valve, busted valve spring or rings on thatcylinder as well.

As far as headgaskets go,Felpro, Cometic MLS are both good. I’ve got a set ofICS Titans (MLC)so I can crank up the boost on my 408. (when all back together) They have seals and built in o-rings.

When you say flaming hot, do they actually glow? Is the color even from #2 all the way back to #8?At the top by the heads or down towards the back of the headers?
When my cats have failed, I have never had a glowing header. I’m on my 3rd cat (2nd h/f) and ran one h/f gutted for a couple years.

Sounds like passenger bank of cyl’s are running excessively lean and the computer is compensating but only 1, 3, 5 & 7 are seeing the fuel. They are running way too rich(fuel smell from exh).

Kenne Bell computer could of crapped out
Could have a blocked fuel rail on the passenger side
Injectors could be blocked by debris in the fuel rails
Wiring harness or electrical connectors to the injectors maybe failing

Probably best to not drive it till you can resolve the issues. If it’s a daily driver, limits its use as much as you can. Unfortunately Kenne Bell has a poor record when it comes to Dodge Magnum engines and Ive heard others complain about the tuning issues in the past.
Yeah the headers are glow, I belive it's from 2-8, and they glow right before they start to curve. It's not my DD, so I can put away. My mechanic told me not to drive when I first bought it but I thought I was going to fix quickly. Since I bought it, I have puta maxof 3,000 in-town miles.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 PM
BLOWNSS/T
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Dodge4x4810

My guess would be a valve problem, also are the heads still the stock 360 heads, could be a crack in the head. Also when did you buy this because the Lemon Law could still be in effect, you should not have had to spend the $700+ after you bought it to fix a problem that was there when you bought it. The seller has to fix the problem and i believe, at least here is Mass, that the seller can only make you pay a maximum of $100 for whatever problems you have.
Yeah im sure there the stock heads, here in cali. if bought through a private party its sold as is.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:17 PM
BLOWNSS/T
Rookie

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

take off the hood and cruise arround, all problems will be solved
jk dont drive it till you figgure it out. i wish i could help ya, but im not that good with diognosing fuel/timing issues, which is what it sounds like. post some pics of the truck, sounds cool.
That would probaly look cool since the K/B is polished. But if some one tries to line up I'll be lucked out. LOL. I'll try to get some pictures of it, but I'll warn youthe previous ownerput augly bumper, I think its a racetruck trends bumper cover with BIG fog lights. Kind of looks like this one http://www.rm-indy.com/Visitor'sParking/RamRod.htm
Except the SS/Tlogos were not placed correctly because the previous owner had the truck repainted. I was sure if it was a ss/t because of this at first, but I checked with the dealer and its an offical SS/T.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:21 AM
BLOWNSS/T
Rookie

I was reading some notes from one of the shop that did the compression test and they noted, scope checked engine, pattern bad, found cylinder misfire,removed and replaced all spark plugs, rechecked system. Performed compression test, cylinder #5 low compression.

Don't know what they meant by scope checked.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Tani1500
Champion

first thing i would do is replace the o2 sensor and then like indy said check the fuel rail. then start worrying about heads and stuff

Old 03-07-2007, 06:31 AM
BLOWNSS/T
Rookie

My buddy is going to work on my truck tommarow, he's going start with removing the heads and see whats going on there.

Question
Shouldhe do a leak down test before removing anything??? I don't have the tool or a compressor but I can rent the leak down tool and maybe buy a compressor if needed???

Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
BLOWNRAM

pull #5 cyl. spray oil into the cyl. put the compression gauge on it crank the engine over. if the compression goes up the rings are shot, if it doesn't then the head has a problem. also if you want, remove the oil cap while the engine is running and see if you get like a puffing out of it or excessive backpressure felt when rev'ing it.

Quick Reply: Misfire Kenne Bell HELP ASAP