2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

B&G Flashed PCM Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Ram4x4sport99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: B&G Flashed PCM Installed

sounds like a good mod to do, im kinda dissapointed with the power my ram has going up hill, might have to try this out...

also noticed your in colorado springs too.. we should go wheelin sometime dude! id like to finally go with someone that im positive can pull me out if/when i get stuck!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like fun. I didn't know anyone else from Springs was on here. If there were others, we could have a get together, compare trucks and what not.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 AM
mntnceguy
Rookie

I'm in Aurora. I'm up for whatever, as long as theres no body damage involved, mines still kinda pretty, [sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After the BG flash
can you tell whether your torque converter clutch
is locking up either faster after shifts
or maybe now locking up in 1st and 2nd gear?

It seems that a relatively straight forward way
to improve both acceleration and MPG
would be to lock the TCC more.
After driving the Titan 5 sp auto and the 07 Tundra 6 sp auto
it sures seems like they lock the TCC up fast
and do it in the lower gears too.

If memory isn't playing tricks on me
I think one model year Dodge did change the programming
and locked the TCC more often...but then got a lot of customer complaints that the shifts were 'too often and too harsh'. This might have been model year 1998.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

It does kinda feel that it might not be locking in first and second. Hard to tell though for sure. I'm going to call B&G and ask them to give me a list of everything they did to my PCM.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:09 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what im wondering is if a PCM that is flashed with B&G's software, or even KRC's software,, will it still except a hyptertech (or superchips ) link up ,,, not necessarilly to change the program (obvioulsy) but to adjust tire size and the rest of the nice features that theprogrammers offer... i emailed B&G months and months ago with this question and they never got back to me....

Old 03-19-2007, 02:35 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

B&G are the only ones (advertising it anyway) who actually flash pcm's. KRC might supply a few fuel or timing parameters, but they send thier stuff to Dave to have it flashed. KRC has the benefit of seeing what different timing and fuel curves for different cam profiles and motor setups do on the dyno.Hughes offers the B&G flashes as well.

As far as the converter locking up, I would think that with a modified Magnum, you would want the TC flashing as high as possible to keep you up where the power is.

Shott- I don't think so. It wouldn't on my Superchips anyway.To change the speedo you had to go through the programming sequence. Also,if you returned the pcm to stock, it would also do away with the pryor speedo calibration.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Talked to B&G again for more detail. When they remove torque management, the not only prevent the PCM from pulling timing under load and full throttle, they also disable the torque converter lock up in 1st - 3rd. It still locks up in OD though, which is good for highway use. So, sounds like the opposite of what you want Hank. I can't recall if the stock PCM locks the TC either in 1-3. Anyone know off hand?

I also asked about timing. Since timing advance is dynamic depending on other sensor inputs the PCM is seeing at the time, there is no single set timing advance number. If conditions are right thought, it will advance as far as 12 degrees.

Idle RPM was set to 800 as I suspected.

I asked about the tire size adjustment. He said he can't change it with the flash he does, so when you get a B&G PCM, it is set to whatever the controller came with originally. He thinks a dealership could still modify that, but he is not sure about a programmer like Hypertech. He has never tested using it. I would be leary to try it personally.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: shott8283

what im wondering is if a PCM that is flashed with B&G's software, or even KRC's software,, will it still except a hyptertech (or superchips ) link up ,,, not necessarilly to change the program (obvioulsy) but to adjust tire size and the rest of the nice features that theprogrammers offer... i emailed B&G months and months ago with this question and they never got back to me....
If it makes a difference Shott, I just confirmed from my local dealership that they can adjust the speed and odometer calibration without messing with any other setting that might have been custom flashed. I'm going to need to go do this since i'm running 33's. Cost is $90. So if you find out that a Hypertech or Superchips won't be able to do it, at least you still have another option.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

90 bux a pop-- twice per year.. 180 bones a year.. little more then three years i will have spent the same amount as for the flash..

reason being is i run 285's during the winter (winter blizzack snow tires) and then my 315's nittos for the summer.. i guess i should dial in my tire size and leave it alone if i want to get the flash done

id like to confirm with my local dealer if they could do the speedo cal. without touching the PCM .. ive noticed that almost every dealer/service center is different in almost everyway.. to include prices

ive heard a few times that the flash is amazing.. and that the tourqe management gone makes a world of difference.. it makes it really feel like theres a 360 under there

Quick Reply: B&G Flashed PCM Installed