2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

B&G Flashed PCM Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:27 AM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: B&G Flashed PCM Installed

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I can't recall if the stock PCM locks the TC either in 1-3. Anyone know off hand?
A bit late, but just to answer your question, my TC locks up after shifting into 3rd (99% sure about this).

Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kikidbird

Hey Silver, when you received your pcm, did it come with a spec sheet?
No I didn't request one, and I think some of what they do is proprietary so other companies can duplicate, which means they won't give you a spec sheet. I think if you were building a hardcore race enigne, and needed to know every single value they change, they would probably work with you on that.

ORIGINAL: ripto
I can't recall if the stock PCM locks the TC either in 1-3. Anyone know off hand?
A bit late, but just to answer your question, my TC locks up after shifting into 3rd (99% sure about this).
Ya, mine still locks up in third, just at a higher speed/rpm.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:41 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HankL

If memory isn't playing tricks on me
I think one model year Dodge did change the programming
and locked the TCC more often...but then got a lot of customer complaints that the shifts were 'too often and too harsh'. This might have been model year 1998.
Soon afterI bought my 2001 Ram, I got frustrated with the TC locking in 3rd gear. It was an underpowered gas hog and the converter locking up in 3rd added to the frustration. Due to customer complaints, Dodge issued aTSB that removed that situation by having the dealer update the program. I got a nice surprise when I installed the Superchips program because it included removing the TC lockup in 3rd. Wow, the truck is so much more enjoyable to drive!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:47 PM
lv360ram
Captain

The stock PCM only locks the TC in 3rd and overdrive.
With the TC locking in 3rd I had to push on the gas harder to get the truck to accelerate. Without the TC lockup in 3rd the truck accelerates easier and I push on the gas less so I haven't noticed any reduction in gas milage.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
ripto
Captain

Can you explain how the TC lock up hurts acceleration? Is it just because it decrease RPMs a little bit and therefore puts you further away from the power band? If thats the case I also have noticed it, I wasn't sure if the truck was just playing tricks on me or not but I have noticed that when it shifts into 3rd, and I know the TC lock up is coming, the truck does seem to slow down.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
lv360ram
Captain

Can you explain how the TC lock up hurts acceleration? Is it just because it decrease RPMs a little bit and therefore puts you further away from the power band? Yes. If thats the case I also have noticed it, I wasn't sure if the truck was just playing tricks on me or not but I have noticed that when it shifts into 3rd, and I know the TC lock up is coming, the truck does seem to slow down. Yes it does.
You explained it just as I experienced it. I can't answer any better than you did.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If our trucks made more low end power, you would actually want the TC to be locked up sooner. When your locked you are 1:1 ratio with your transmission, so all your power is going through the trans and to the wheels.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:49 PM
ripto
Captain

Silver, is it easy to remove the PCM from the firewall? Turns out I've got a jet plug in mine that I want to remove to see if it will affect my pinging. Ash I believe it was sent me the website from jet explaining how to do it but just curious. It doesn't affect any computer information right? Like the odometer, etc.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:51 PM
lv360ram
Captain

Can you explain how the TC lock up hurts acceleration? Is it just because it decrease RPMs a little bit and therefore puts you further away from the power band? If thats the case I also have noticed it, I wasn't sure if the truck was just playing tricks on me or not but I have noticed that when it shifts into 3rd, and I know the TC lock up is coming, the truck does seem to slow down.
I see that you have Hypertech PPIII in your signature. Does the TC lockup occur in 3rd gear with the performance program installed?

Old 03-29-2007, 05:59 PM
lv360ram
Captain

Silver, is it easy to remove the PCM from the firewall? Turns out I've got a jet plug in mine that I want to remove to see if it will affect my pinging. Ash I believe it was sent me the website from jet explaining how to do it but just curious. It doesn't affect any computer information right? Like the odometer, etc.
If you have a Jet chip plugged into your PCM, be VERY, VERY careful when you remove it so you don't break off the securing tabs on the PCM. [sm=boohoo.gif]

Quick Reply: B&G Flashed PCM Installed