2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

B&G Flashed PCM Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: B&G Flashed PCM Installed

ORIGINAL: ripto

Silver, is it easy to remove the PCM from the firewall? Turns out I've got a jet plug in mine that I want to remove to see if it will affect my pinging. Ash I believe it was sent me the website from jet explaining how to do it but just curious. It doesn't affect any computer information right? Like the odometer, etc.
Yes, very easy. Disconnect the battery. Then unplug the three wire loom plugs. Then there is just three screws that connect it to the firewall. Note that on the right side screw, there should be a ground wire connected to that screw. Just make sure you reattach that when you reinstall the PCM.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:37 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you explain how the TC lock up hurts acceleration?
The TC locking up hurts acceleration because you loose the torque multiplication provided by the torque converter once it locks. It should not lock up until shortly after you're in OD ... unless you have selected "OD OFF" ... then it should lock up in 3rd.

is it easy to remove the PCM from the firewall?
Three connectors ... three screws.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, yeah I have the jet chip in now, but I've got the hypertech waiting. Without knowing I installed the hypertech while the jet chip was in it and it pinged like crazy so I had to baby it home. Then later on I found out I had the jet chip.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 AM
kikidbird
Veteran

What are the sympoms of the TC lock up?

Old 03-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kikidbird

What are the sympoms of the TC lock up?
It's not really symptoms. That makes it sound like TC lockup is a bad thing. Drop in RPM is the main tell that your TC has just locked. If your driving along at a reasonable speed in third gear or overdrive, touch the brake petal. If RPM's jump up a little, your TC just unlocked.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

It feels like a 4th shift ... RPM's drop and acceleration goes to crap.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:38 AM
ripto
Captain

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill

The TC locking up hurts acceleration because you loose the torque multiplication provided by the torque converter once it locks. It should not lock up until shortly after you're in OD ... unless you have selected "OD OFF" ... then it should lock up in 3rd.
Are you sure about yours not locking up until you're in OD? I thought someone here said on stock PCM's its happens in 3rd gear (as mine does) without pressing the OD button?

Old 03-30-2007, 01:28 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Yup ... straight out of the FSM:

The torque converter clutch is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The torque converter clutch engages in fourth gear, and in third gear under various conditions, such as when the O/D switch is OFF, when the vehicle is cruising on a level surface after the vehicle has warmed up. The torque converter clutch will disengage momentarily when an increase in engine load is sensed by the PCM, such as when the vehicle begins to go uphill or the throttle pressure is increased.

EDIT: Of course, I've found glaring errors in the FSM before ...

The button (on the end of your gear selector) is an OD DEFEAT switch. Pressing it turns OD off and the light in your cluster should reflect this.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
kikidbird
Veteran

Is it possible to lock up, without velocity, would it lock up if you start your truck, shift into rev or drive?

Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Yes ... if it's not working right ... anything is possible. Otherwise ... no ... not under normal conditions. Defeats the purpose of a TC.

Quick Reply: B&G Flashed PCM Installed