2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone ever fixed intermittent wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever fixed intermittent wipers?

My wiper delay doesn't work so the wipers go the same speed regardless where the dial is on the intermittent setting. So they end up going at about half speed as the low setting. Has anyone one ever changed the controler and know where the relayis? It is starting to bug me so I think I'll try and fix it if I can.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: anyone ever fixed intermittent wipers?

To future searchers: I said somethingdumb and was wrong,continue scrolling down for possible answers.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nope - not on wiper motor. i can't say for sure about your 99, but i can tell you everything about my 01's intermittent wipers. the twist **** on the multi-function switch is a variable resistor, wired to the Central Timing Module (CTM), which in my 01 is to the right of the gas pedal, under the dash and sort of behind the ash tray. mine was a black box about 4 x 3 x 1" thick. the CTM controls all timing related functions and also contains the chimer thing (ding ding ding). it cost $119 so don't screw it up. the wiper motor on my 01 is just a dumb motor with 4 wires (hi speed, low, park circuit, and ground).

I'll bet you $5 your have a blown or missing fuse in the end of your dash in the power window or power door lock slot. mine had that and the wipers would do the intermittent wipe about every 1-2 sec no matter where you set the dial. let me know if thats not it. there is a test procedure for the twist dial on the wiper switch in the haynes manual, but you have to take it off to test it. by the way it only costs $42 at autozone.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:03 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gee ill bet you have fixed it before dhvaughanlol

he is 100% right...nothing more to add lol

Old 11-20-2007, 05:29 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yea,.,, same problem with mine as wellk,,,, mine started to act up ever since i blew the I.O.D. fuze in the dash

Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ryans590
gee ill bet you have fixed it before dhvaughanlol
yes. after spending 2 or 3 weeks taking half the truck apart, replacing multifunction switch ($42), CTM ($119), relays ($5), testing everything, almost letting stealer parts counter convince me there was a control module on wiper motor assy ($120), pulling wiper motor off to prove them wrong, talking to dodge tech, studying wiring diagram over and over, testing, probing, testing - i finally gave up. there were no shorts or open circuits and nothing wrong that i could identfy and nothing further to replace. the worst part of it all was that I (repeat I) was the one that removed the power windows fuse because it turned off the "key in ignition dinger" and i thought i was so clever.. well, it also turned off a key element of the intermittent wiper circuit which lives inside the ctm with the dinger.

ps. the proper way to turn off the key in ignition dinger is to remove the clam shell covers from the column and unplug the 2 wire connector on the ignition switch. don't just rip the speaker off the ctm board or you will loose all chimes including low fuel, headlight on.

i have no experience with the IOD fuse. not sure how that would tie in. check all the fuses in the end of the dash before you waste a lot of money like i did.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional

Dhvaughn, your right the ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, is annoying. How ever after reading your post I think I'll live with it thanx for sharing your experience.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

nope fuses all look good.I also located the black box under the dash.... maybe I'll get on from the wrecker if the price is right.

Quick Reply: anyone ever fixed intermittent wipers?