2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Ram with 5.9l gas wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
gtup
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Ram with 5.9l gas wont start.

I got back from vacation tried to start the truck, and it would turn over for about 1 second and die. I am getting 44psi of fuel pressure so the fuel pump is still working, but I cant find the fuel filter to see if its clogged up or not.

Does anyone know if these trucks have a inline fuel filter or is it all together with the fuel pump?

Could any sensors be causing this to happen? IAC? or EGR?

I know the pressure is lower than what it should be (50+/- and as low as 45) but the truck should still run if its getting 44psi right?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

No user serviceable fuel filter to be had. Fuel pressure should be good enough to get it to start.

Try stepping on the gas a bit, and giving it a crank.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it will run @ 44.. it won't be as happy about it though..

there is no EGR on yours.. nor is there an inline filter in the fuel line..

other than the IAC, the coil is suspect.. it's unfortunate that they don't just up and fail, but do funny stuff in the meantime..

you may have an unregulated vacuum leak.. check your vacuum lines.. it would have to be a big one leaking to cause a no run situation- the easiest thing to do, after you eliminate the IAC, and visibly looked for a unplugged line, is plug each port on the manifold and see if it idles at that point..

Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM
gtup
Professional

It runs if I rev it up but once I let off the throttle is dies right away... Even if the pressure is at 44psi I still need to replace the fuel pump right?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

nah. No need for that just yet. Still within tolerance at 45 PSI.

Might be just a dirty throttle body. Pull the air filter housing off, and have a look down the well right behind the throttle bores, if it's really nasty in there, that is more than likely the problem. Remove the throttle body, pull the IAC out, and clean all the gunk out of there. (have the battery disconnected while you are doing this.) You can get a t/b gasket for like 2 bucks at just about any parts store.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM
gtup
Professional

I cleaned the throttle body out with some throttle body cleaner but I can check to see if I got it good enough. I did that with the throttle body still on so Im not sure how well I got it cleaned but its a lot better than it was. What do I clean the IAC with?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the IAC itself can be shot with TB cleaner too.. and a tooth brush works.. wiped out when finishing.. the port the IAC goes into is the important thing- same thing.. it likes to gum up.. try not to manipulate the plunger on the IAC itself too much.. I hear the mechanism is easy to break..

there is a little donut gasket on the thing.. don't lose it!!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:03 PM
gtup
Professional

When I get home I am going to clean the IAC and reset the battery. If this doesn't fix it I am stumped...

Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 PM
gtup
Professional

How do you take the IAC off? It looks like it hidden behind the throttle body and would be hard to get a screw driver back there...

Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 PM
gtup
Professional

Could the ECU lost its memory? I did have to jump my truck to get it going, maybe the ECU lost its memory because of the dead battery?

Quick Reply: 2002 Ram with 5.9l gas wont start.