3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

The new running lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new running lights

Just got them installed .... WHAT A PROJECT! It wasnt hard, just time consuming. I thought I was never going to finish. But here they are. Ill snap more pics once the tailgate bar gets here sometime after Nov 12th. Sorry you cant hear me too well in the video, it was 1 a.m. when I finally cleaned everything up .... now I just wish I wouldve gotten the 62" bar instead of the 48" .... wouldve filled in more. Enjoy.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 AM
ruger226
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Take another video at night so we can see it in the dark.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

that is just too cool. you goin to put up some instructions right????

Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM
rengnath
Champion

Who follows instructions!?!

jkjk

This install was pretty interesting as I wasnt sure how it was going to look when it was done. It involved:
Drilling 3 holes about a half inch from the edge in the plastic molding below the doors
Slightly bend the provided mounting brackets to work at the angle I mounted them at
Mount the light bars
Route the wires through the fenders and to the headlights
Tap in to the dome light, which requires removing the dome light to figure out which wire you need, removing the passanger A-Pillar to actually tap in to the wire, and removing the passanger side moulding on the floor to drill a hole through the floor to sneak the wire out.
Then, you want to wire the passanger side running light in to the dome, use the wire that runs up the passanger side fender and run it to the drivers side and connect that running light.
Next I did the grounds. I ended up having to drill 2 holes and create new ground points up by the headlights.
Then you tap in to the parking light. I used the volt meter to find out that the ground is black on both sides, and then I figured out which wire was parking and which was the directional.
None of it is hard, just time consuming and it takes some effort to make it look professional. I ran all my wires through some of that black flex tubing, tie wrapped it to existing wires and frame points, wrapped everything necessary in electrical tape or shrink wrap, silicon around the hole in the floor, ect. If I wouldve done a DIY for this, it probably wouldve taken me another hour or two. If anyone is serious about getting these though and needs some detailed help, Ill be happy to take pictures and get you going on the right track.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Looks very nice!!! I like them.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by rengnath
If anyone is serious about getting these though and needs some detailed help, Ill be happy to take pictures and get you going on the right track.
I just want you to come down here and install mine.....lol

Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM
rengnath
Champion

Well the second time around probably wouldnt be too bad. Plus, you dont have a bumper scoop pipe running through your fender so I would be able to reach my arm through there no problem. If you bring the beer, lights and truck to WI, Ill install them for you.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

well my trucks in the shop and i'll be in Florida for a week so I'll get started on more mods when I get back and get my truck back! I'm going to be putting leds on the bottom edge of the door that come on when you open the door, like puddle lights.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 PM
ReturnToSender
Professional

Looks good, Are they the Big Rig Ice bars from Recon? I was kicking around the idea of doing the 62" one but im not too sure yet.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 AM
rengnath
Champion

Yup, they are the 48" Big Rig Ice bars from Recon. I really wish I wouldve done the 62" but now that these are installed, it would be a PITA to switch them out for 62" .... I think Ill just save my money.

These things are sharp though, and nice and bright in the dark. During the day you dont notice them much, but at night they light up the ground and stand out with the running lights.

Only 2 problems that I can note:
1. The leds are on a circuit board on the inside of the tube, and they arent supported by anything other than the contacts so they dont all line up. From a distance you dont notice but up close you can see that they are slightly uneven.
2. When unlocking my truck, if I hit the unlock button twice or after I already illuminated the dome light the amber will flash behind the white light on the passanger side, but not on the drivers side. This is the only time the amber and white lights are on at the same time, and I dont know why. The other side works flawlessly. Ill probably end up turning off the parking light flash during lock and unlock ... not that anyone would notice that the passanger side does this and the drivers side doesnt, but its slightly annoying.

Quick Reply: The new running lights