3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

'05 Dakota - good buy and what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM
tml1138
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Dakota - good buy and what to look for?

So I am looking at finally getting a new truck. I've been driving my '95 Dakota Sport since '96, and 235k miles later....it's been a long road and she's getting rough.

So I drive by this 2005 SLT Quad-Cab 4x4 Dakota every day to work. It has the V8, so far just a phone call to the owner and he tells me it has 140k miles on it, asking $8700. It needs 4 new tires right away, has leather interior and the driver side is shot on the edge where you slide over getting in and out. Otherwise, looks great. VIN is 1D7HW48N05S182393. Only other options I know it has at this point: factory chrome wheels, bed liner. No tonneau cover.

I'm looking for something that I can fit the family in (baby car seats and all) and eventually tow with. It already has the receiver. What are my towing limitations with this truck? It seems like that's a good price, but I wanted to check first. Anything else I should know about this gen of Dakotas? Been a long while since last truck shopping....

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

140k, if he has not already done it, you'll probably be in need of front end parts, ball joints, tie rods, etc. the front end on 3rd gens is pretty weak. Otherwise, everything else is pretty stout on these trucks. Use the search function to find threads about towing. There are tons of them. Apparently these trucks can tow quite a bit. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Is that the correct VIN? I am trying to do a simple vehicle check and it keeps coming up invalid VIN.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming it's not the HO your towing capacity is 5650lbs with the 3.55 gear ratio and 6850lbs with the 3.92 gear ratio:
http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehicl...E+Transmission

Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 AM
muddinbill
Rookie

I second what jkeaton said, my whole front end in my '05 was shot at 80k miles. since then I have replaced my tie rods, all of my ball joints, my drive shaft boots, my wheel hubs (which includes the bearings on these trucks), and even my break calibers were shot. Dodges are also notorious for tranny's going bad, But if that one already has 140k on it and hasnt had any problems yet hopefully you will be good. when it comes to towing, I have a dak 3.7L with no towing package and I do light to moderate towing (boats, car trailers, wood trailers, and once a trialer filled with 4000lbs of steel) and have not had any problems even with the 3.7L V6. the other thing i would look for is undercarrage rust and rust up front under the hood on the subframe cross bar that holds your radiator support. I noticed mine started to rust very early (im from ohio and have some pretty rough winters). I do not know dodges 318's very well but I do know that the 3.7L V6's sometimes have problems with timing chains getting loose and slapping the timing chain cover, that would be something to look for too if you were gonna look at a 3.7 . I do also know that some people have problems with valves starting to knock in dodges if the truck has not been well kept. But the biggest thing I believe is the front end, If those parts have not been replaced yet at 140k miles i honestly dont know how it lasted so those would need to be replaced.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

140k is too many miles to buy a vehicle at. Its going to need a timing set soon and the front suspension and it already needs tires. For a few dollars you can pick up a newer truck with way less milage.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 AM
muddinbill
Rookie

Originally Posted by wingman_214
140k is too many miles to buy a vehicle at. Its going to need a timing set soon and the front suspension and it already needs tires. For a few dollars you can pick up a newer truck with way less milage.
^^ agreed, got my 05 2 years ago for 9k and it only had 60k miles on it didnt really think about that option when i first replied

Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman_214

I agree keep looking. You can find a better deal.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Yep, only buy it if he's got proof he did all the regular maintenance & he comes down on price.

If all he did was oil changes every 3~5k & the like you'll be looking at needing a complete front end replacement, it should have had 2 transmission fluid & filter changes and if it hasn't you'll be nervous that doing a service will knock something loose/off, etc.

I'm on the newbie side of amateur but I just traded in my '02 Dak w/115k on it for an '05 about a month ago.
What I looked for or learned to look for was:
Rust, it's gonna have some, but it should be under control.

Serpentine belt, pull on it some and see if it's dry/cracked or otherwise seems really old.

Look at and around the radiator hoses, when that stuff leaks it leaves evidence.
If you do notice stains or extremely clean pieces and you haven't already been told about it, ask, if don't get a warm fuzzy with the answer, leave.

Check out the wiring, not just in the engine but under the dash and front seats. (Someone spliced into my power driver seat)

Take off the oil fill cap, look for white foamy stuff, don't buy it if you see it. New cap? Be nervous.

If it's not a spray-in liner, move a piece to the side, inspect for rust.

Last edited by EliteTempleton; 08-24-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Posted wrong mileage for the 02
Old 08-19-2011, 01:03 PM
tml1138

Thanks for the input! I went back and looked some more, it has some bubbling of the paint in a couple of spots too where the rust is coming through. I don't think it was abused, but I don't think it was well-maintained either. I was hesitant, and I've not seen the truck for a few days anyhow. I'll keep looking.

BTW, as for the VIN #. I got that "invalid" on one of the codes when I checked too. I don't know why, as I've double checked and that's the correct VIN.

Quick Reply: '05 Dakota - good buy and what to look for?