3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

I hate these crap Dakota brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I hate these crap Dakota brakes....

Man what is up with Dodge and brakes? This is my 5th Dakota. They ALL had some type of warping issue with the brakes. The 1992, 2000 and 2003 models all had front rotors that seemed to need replacing or resurfacing every 10-15k miles.

When I got the 05 model it seemed the issues then shifted to the rear. That thing had the rear axles, drums and shoes changed two or three times under warranty before I just got tired of dealing with it and lemon'd it.

Now I have a 2011 Dakota. At 8k miles the dealer changed the rear drums on that one. Now I'm at 20k miles and the sum-bitch is doing it again. This time the dealer wants me to pay to turn them. I see the drums are specifically excluded after the initial 12k mile period but I'm thinking abour raising some stink on it since these are known issues and should damn well last more than 10k miles. I wouldn't blink an eye about a random warp problem at 30k or more miles but not the problem repeating every 10k miles.

This is also a highway driver. I drive the truck maybe once every week or two. When I do it might be 200-300 highway miles with only a few miles off the interstate to get where I need to be. This isn't loaded city stop and go driving.

Fah-Q Dodge!!!!

/end rant

Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am not gonna disagree with ya. I have one of those crap trucks that had nothing but issues. But the one thing I have learned over the year is a warranty only covers the fix of the crap part that broke or failed with another crap part that is gonna break or fail.

I just replace parts that break with Good aftermarket parts, they have not failed me yet.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Default Well they fixed it....

I made a stink about it. I dug out all the warranty brake repair receipts from the 05 I had and the last one from this truck and refreshed their memory about how bad the brakes suck.

Of course they said they fixed it out of goodwill and courtesy. Courtesy would be giving me a set of brakes that last more than 10k miles on the REAR. If these go eggroll on me within another 10k miles I'll be looking for more courtesy from them or I'll may have to start another buyback prpcess. My Mazda5 outside has 40k miles on it and I don't think the front brakes are even 1/2 worn. No way in hell I should be having issues on the rear of the truck like this.

But who makes good quality drums? Can a rear disc 9.25" axle out of a 03 or 04 Dakota swap in?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Same here, not on my Dak though. Our 09 Journey needed new rotors by 15k miles. Dealer replaced under warranty and they were warped again by 25k miles. I then said screw the dealer supplied crap factory parts and got a set or rotors from Oreillys. Getting close to 70k on it now and not one brake issue since. I guess my question to you is, why do you keep buying Dakotas if you think they are so crappy??? You have had 5?? and you say "fah q Dodge"?? lol...I find that amusing.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Paulinations
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our trucks are much heavier than a mazda3...

I'm having brake issues as well...but mine are in the front...like they've said above, my issues are because of crappy replacements...I'm not doing the dealer or a shop this time...I'm doing it myself and getting quality parts...

but it does suck, so good luck with it all...vehicles are frustrating sometimes...

Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It isn't just Dakotas and it isn't just Dodges, and it isn't just Chrysler products. In order to increase fuel mileage (as mandated by several governments), all manufacturers are forced to make ever lighter components. Now, light and strong can be done, but it is expensive. And a few extra bucks on a vehicle for better front rotors (let's just say 20 bucks a side for stronger as well as lighter) isn't so bad. But then you need to do that for the tie-rod ends and then for the ball joints and then for the struts, and soon you are up an extra $1,000. And we will ALL walk across the road to save a hundred bucks on a truck! We get what we deserve, here, all racing to the bottom!

Boy, I wish Wally*World sold cars (NOT).

Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
rodslinger
Veteran

Originally Posted by northgator8
It isn't just Dakotas and it isn't just Dodges, and it isn't just Chrysler products....).
I'll agree with some of that mantra but nothing else I've ever owned has any type of warping issue with the brakes. And it wouldn't be $1000 to make it right from a manufacturing perspective. A higher quality metal, tolerance, machining method or other variables in the design of the part may only add an incremental cost of pennies or a few dollars. I am willing to pay an extra $10 or $20 if they can give me some decent brakes.

And I keep buying Dakota's becuase I like them. I'd honestly rather deal with this than any crap I could expect out of a V8 Colorado. I also do NOT want a full size truck so my options for smallish truck with a V8 are limited. And I guess as of now, eliminated.....

I'd buy a brand new 04 in a hearbeat if they still made them.

Last edited by rodslinger; 03-21-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rodslinger
And it wouldn't be $1000 to make it right from a manufacturing perspective. A higher quality metal, tolerance, machining method or other variables in the design of the part may only add an incremental cost of pennies or a few dollars. I am willing to pay an extra $10 or $20 if they can give me some decent brakes.

I'd buy a brand new 04 in a hearbeat if they still made them.
I agree that the brakes wouldn't be $1,000. But to do it all correctly . . . .

My wife's Volvo V70 - not a cheap car - had the same issues. Volvo replaced the first set, I had to do the second. I found more expensive aftermarket and they have worked well.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are all of you who have brake issues properly torquing your lug nuts?

I ask because I've always used a torque wrench and tightened my lug nuts to spec, and I've never warped any rotors.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had my Tires changed to my Summer set and Re-balanced, and my Brake shutter suddenly went away, Magically.

Ive already replaced my entire front (Pads, Rotors and Calipers) Shop re-machined my Drums and say they pads are still fine.
My old Rotors warped because of Sticky Pistons in the Calipers.

Quick Reply: I hate these crap Dakota brakes....