3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

where can i run foglight wires?? (pics too)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where can i run foglight wires?? (pics too)

I got a set of fogs, that Im mounting on the bumper in front of the grille of my 06. There big ones, and look pretty good there, there 5" wide by 1.5" high whites, rectangles. My question is, where can I run the wires for my switch to get into the cab? I cannot find any spot to do this. I figured jimbo would know so if you read this please respond, or anyone else please help me out. The lights are mounted, just need to wire it. I'm going to post a pic in a few min so you can tell me if you think it looks dumb or not, I didnt use any mounting hardware yet, just double sided tape, in case I didnt like the end result. Thanks.

Heres the pic as promised:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e8.../roblights.jpg

Old 04-07-2007, 02:27 AM
jimboscomp
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: where can i run foglight wires?? (pics too)

I drilled a hole in my firewall right in front of my gas pedal about an inch to the right of it. I ran the wires through there, and I sealed it with silicone sealer. I then took the wires and ran them up along the sides of the engine compartment. I'll go get a pic for you! brb!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:45 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

OK as i promised here are pics of how I originally ran the wires, now forgive my interior pic, it is not only blurry, but my cables are kind of hanging out because I have not received my new wire loom for the cables. Inside of the engine compartment, I recomment getting wire loom that is specifically made for engines (high temp loom). But here are pics of how I ran the wires to my dashboard, inside of the engine, the whole blue loom are the wires I ran, they go up and around the fuse box to an 80-amp fuse. I recommend for those fog lights a 15-amp fuse. I have 80 because I works for all of my off road lights. Let me know if you have any questions.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24683/06ACE9F036004EB39298067EEF648A22.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24683/FD2B30CAC03144CBB533C9C24B1170C1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
luvmydak
Veteran

No need to go through the firewall. Open your driver's side door and between the upper and lower hinges you will see a rubber snap-in type cap in the door jamb. That's how I ran the wires for my aux driving lights. Just run the wires through an opening near the hood hinge bracket then down. You may have to slit the rubber cap a little then fish the wires through.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:24 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

I did mine the same way I did all wiring on my Galant, I had experimented with running things through the door, and found the best way only to use very small wire, like what eric said, 30awg is really small. I mean not wanting to bash you and your idea luvmydak, but I wouldn't want to slit the rubber in the door before I drill through my firewall, just, I don't know, I don't want to possibly open it up to accidentally letting in water.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:19 PM
luvmydak
Veteran

I have never had a problem routing wires the way I suggested since there is plenty of space between the door and the jamb. The door never touches the wires. Nor is water intrusion an issue unless you plan to drive through 3'+ high water. I even took that into account and dabbed a bit of silicone sealant where the wires go into the rubber plug. Personally, I think water intrusion is far more likely byrouting wires lowthrough the firewall. Just my opinion.That being said, I hope jimbo has no problems with his setup.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for everyone help. On most cars through the door jam would be a bad idea, but on our dakotas thats exactly what those plugs are designed for, and theres a great ammount of room, you simple use black wire tubing to make it professional looing and through the supplied grommit that you simply pop a tiny hole in and let it stretch when the wirtes go through it. Ill be running them that way. Im also going to move the fogs into the area where the tow hooks would stick out, simply because the other way just looks bad to me.

Quick Reply: where can i run foglight wires?? (pics too)