3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tonneau or Shell? Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:10 PM
CalTruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau or Shell? Help

Hey Gang - I'm new to the forum. I just recently bought an '06 Dakota V8 Magnum Quad Cab, and I'm lovin' it. I have been lurking and reading and finding some great information.

My delima... I have a family with two boys and forever we have had a Dodge Grand Caravan. Well it was time for dad to get back into a truck and the Quad Cab just made sense. I love the room inside for the family. I'm also a drummer and I have to be able to carry my gear to and from gigs and rehearsals. The van offered my gear the protection since it was always inside the van.

So... now I am faced with either adding a tonneau cover or a cab high shell. All of my gear will fit inside/under the tonneau cover except my bass drum, which I would have to put in the seat behind me in the cab. That is all well and good as long as I don't need the space for four passengers (which 90% of the time I don't). I also really like the truck look without the shell.

The other option is the shell. I would never have to put my gear in the front of the cab. We would also have space for extra gear when we go camping. We don't go camping that often, but now that we have a truck, I'm thinking about getting some kind of camping trailer (tent trailer???).

The other cool thing about the tonneau is that it can fairly easily be removed when I do want to carry anything larger in the back of the truck. The removal of the shell isn't quite as easy.

So, if anyone has any opinions or experiences, I'd love to hear them.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tonneau or Shell? Help

I'd say for your dilemma, and requirements, and safety. Get a locking fiberglass lid.

That way you can lock up your stuff in the box, oh, also get a pop-lock. That way you shouldn't have to ever worry about someone jacking your stuff while in the truck.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:27 PM
CalTruck

So does lid = tonneau and cap = shell? Sorry for the ignorance in the terminology.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Lid = hardcover fiberglass tonneau cover...

Old 04-07-2007, 04:43 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Shells are better. Most people I know who got the hard tonneau (fibreglass) which they'd got a regular shell for the extra height.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:49 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

I have a cap/shell on my truck (see the pictures in my gallery). I love it. Among many other things, I have hauled drums in my bed. Our drummer loves it because he actually doesn't have to take his kit apart--we just load it up in my bed and drive to the gig. I do have the Club Cab, which has a foot longer bed, so you might not have that luxury, but you'll still get your whole kit in there.

You can get locking caps (even configured to work with your keyless entry). I got my cap with the carpeted headliner, and then got the matching BedRug for the bed. Looks beautiful...I get tons of compliments. If you want some pics of the inside, let me know. I can snap a few.

Removing a cap is pretty easy too. It's just held on by four clamps.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:10 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i went with the fiberglass cover. i dont really haul stuff and when i do i use my trailer

[IMG]local://upfiles/31284/BD1305E7E8394306A77D68DEEEB53C02.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[IMG]local://upfiles/31284/858844359A8E432CA5567D5BA28B3380.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Wait, what is a shell? Is that the cap? I'm lost..

I thought shell = fiberglass tonneau

Old 04-08-2007, 04:39 AM
CalTruck

mb18, could you post some photos of the inside of your shell. I would really appreciate it. Is your shell a Leer? It looks really nice.

superdak05, I love the truck look, and your truck looks great with the tonneau.

This is why I'm having such a hard time with the decision. I love the truck look! I also need to haul my gear. If I get the cap/shell/whatever, I can also carry other musician's gear with me if we ride to a gig together. With the tonneau I would be limited in that respect.

But I love the truck look.....

Quick Reply: Tonneau or Shell? Help