3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Level kit install woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Level kit install woes

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble putting in the TM leveling kit. I was hoping those of you who've done it could give me some advice. I got the shock bolt at the bottom and the 3 at the top off no problem. Sway bar endlinks no problem either. However, I can't get the shock out, I tried taking the upper A arm off per TM's instructions but after taking the nut off I can't get it separated and the tie rod tool doesn't seem to fit it. I'm thinking maybe I could compress the spring and take the shock out but I rented strut compressors and I can't fit the damn thing into the spring, even if I try to pry it apart some. Any ideas?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 PM
pro4x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Level kit install woes

When I installed the truxxx kit I hit the tie rod bolt with a hammer to seperate it. Did the same with the upper ball joint. I just gave it a precise blow so as not to damage it.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Yeah it is. I think I'm going to swing by a different auto parts store today and see if they have a spring compressor that will fit in there. If I can compress the spring I can pull out the shock without removing the upper A arm so it would be easier. If not I'll have to try the hammer I guess. I did try that with a rubber mallet but you don't get as much force with those.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:17 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

You do need a good sized hammer. I used a small sledge hammer. Mine came apart after two good blows.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:38 PM
coondog05
Veteran

give it a couple GOOD smacks with just the frame jacked, not the lower control arm

Old 05-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Thanks guys, I'll try that tomorrow. Didn't get a chance to work on it today, had so much stuff to do. I had the crazy idea to try putting some coil spring spacers from autozone in so I could fit the strut compressors in there then compressing the spring to pull it out but my friend talked me out of it. I don't really want to be banging that thing around trying to get it out with that much tension on the spring, if something let go my hand would be history.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Ya, and only having one hand means.... well...

You can't type as fast.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a time getting the upper bj apart. I bought the right size tierod sepereatore for the driver side, but on the passenger side (which i did first,) I used a hammer (lead hammer). I actually had to wegde a crowbar into the frame and a- arm and then put a jack on top of it, pushing up into the ball joint pin, while striking downward on the a arm. If that sounds crazy and complicated and stupid, well... no comment. I like the tie rod seperator a lot better.a note of advice: since the new bolts are not pressed into the strut plate, They may spin when threading on the new bolts; PIA. I got smart and put a flathead screwdriver slot into the top of the bolts with a dremel. If at first you don't fricasee, fry, fry again.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 AM
herkguy
Veteran

Where are the pics........and how much did you gain in lift

Quick Reply: Level kit install woes