3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Just got flowmaster! sound clip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just got flowmaster! sound clip?

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner

what are the advantages to a chambered muffler over one like mine (borla) which is packed (? - i think thats what i was told from someone on here) or visa virsa
Below is a pic of a chambered muffler, depending on how the chambers are set up it affects the sound. Chambered mufflers work by reflecting sound waves so they hit each other and cancel out, so you can basically set it up to sound however you would like. Looking at the Flowmaster site it looks like more chambers = quiter muffler.

Here is a 'straight through' designed muffler. In this case you have some kind of sound-absorbing material surrounding the inner tube. This material varies but I know they used to use fiberglass and some other stuff. With this type of muffler, the materal will be affected by the heat and pressure of the exhaust and will eventually begin to break down reducing the sound absorption qualities and make the exhaust louder.

This is why I am confused by superdak's comment about letting the flowmaster break-in so it will get louder....

Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

just found this

BORLA mufflers, on the other hand, contain T-304 stainless steel perforated pipe wrapped with several layers of stainless steel sound absorbing material and a blanket of ceramic sound absorbing, high temperature material. The stainless steel inner construction, which is impervious to all corrosive acids, protects the ceramic packing from breaking down and getting blown out, so a BORLA muffler never needs replacing. In addition, a BORLA muffler is the most effective sound-absorbing device for the size, and it is guaranteed for one million miles.
Borla Performance stands behindour products by offering a lifetime warranty againstdefects in materials and workmanship. After nearly 30 years, the reason we are able to do this is becauseaustenitic stainless steelis a superior material with optimum chromium and nickel content to maximize resistance to corrosion andrust as compared to 400 series which contains iron that, as we all know, rusts. For example, the stock headerson the Mustang have been made of 400 series stainlessfor some time. Have you ever looked at your stock headers to see how badly they rust? Do you want to buy an aftermarket system made of 400 series? The same grade material as the system you already have?
guess not all packed mufflers need replaced...stainless steel and ceramic sounds better to me than fiberglass

Old 07-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner

guess not all packed mufflers need replaced...stainless steel and ceramic sounds better to me than fiberglass
Ehh, to each his own... I re-did the exhaust on my bike, left the stock headers cut everything off from the can back. I welded on a glasspack and slid a truck stack over the whole thing. Over the years it has gotten a bit louder as the fiberglass gets scorched/packed but nothing has blown out yet, and that was about 5 years ago..

I think the million mile claim is a little much, but it makes for good marketing I guess....

Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Freddy Fog

Hey man, the Flowmaster on your Dakota sounds pretty cool. I'm gonna have to upload my Dakota with my Magnaflow exhaust. I'll post it here when I do.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:25 PM
fieldmedic8404

here is mine its v-6 3.7 with single flow master 40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc9oHb4nbwk

Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

sounds pretty good bro

Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job, sounding good.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Freddy Fog

Could've fooled me. That sounds nothing like a 6 cylinder. I'd move the camera a little further away from the tail pipe next time, but from what i heard it sounds good man. Sounds like an 8 for sure!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 AM
4.7-X=2FlowMasters

Here's an old video i was able to dig up,...
I hope this works like other site's work. We'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7ItMEhm-g

Old 07-11-2009, 02:13 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's a sweet vid. nice and loud sound there!

Quick Reply: Just got flowmaster! sound clip?