3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fire&Ice Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 PM
judmoney00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fire&Ice Pics

Just ordered mine should be here tommorrow so ill have something to do on the weekend. Does anyone know which color wire is the reverse, turn signal and parking lights

Old 07-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

ya actually i have the diagram in the garage. will look for it.....did you order the plasmaglow or recon

Old 07-18-2007, 03:46 AM
judmoney00

i ordered the plasmaglow like yourself from stylintrucks....i ordered it monday and it says it should be here tom. now if only i had a black night runner edition it would look alot better on there.....that would be great if you could get the colors it would make it alot easier thank you

Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

edit
sorry, i meant reverse is wired via the 7or8 pinconnector....the others are easiest to wire into the 4 pin connector.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
judmoney00

do you mean the connectors from the trailer wire harness because i dont have the tow package. I have to wire it straight to the wires which sucks because i dont know which color is negative or positive or even what wire is what. i knew i should have went to school for electronics CRAP.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

yes i was talkin about the tow connections.....but, it should come with a 4 pin connector on it.. their wires have X and - and --- and a blank wire.... and then has a white wire...white is reverse....on the tow package the plain white on the led bar gets matched with a white w/green stripe wire on the 7 pin connector...

the rest of the wires are attached to the 4 pin connector
on the 4pin connector that comes attached to your wires on the led bar, the femaleattaches towhite, and top to bottom (if female is on top) is top male attaches to brown, middle male attaches toyellow, and bottom male attaches togreen....

it will come with a diagram with labels of the wires on the led bar bc they are not color coordinated. idk what to tell you since you do not have the tow package. that is all i can tell you. i will be back on before i go to bed, prob around 12 central time...i hope this helps someone, although it prob wont since you dont have the tow package. good luck

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 PM
judmoney00

no that helps alot.....so basically the ground would be white the brake light wire should be brown then left signal yellow and right signal green....ill go with that and hopefully that'll do it.....im installing it on the weekend so ill let you know how it works out....my fiance's uncle is helping and hes pretty good with that stuff

Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Beazer
Rookie

You can solve all of that problem with a $2 wire tester from Radio Shack. Just turn a light on, poke the sharp end into wires until the light on the tester matches the light you're using...turn signal flashes on the tester etc. These are also of great value if you do anything to your stereo to find continuous power and other things you need.

The connectors you need are called quick connects. Get a male and female of the same color, probably yellow. Cut your wire you ran to the lightbar, NOT the wire on your harness, and just crimp one on each end. This way, when you want to unhook them the light bar still has one side and the trailer harness has one running from it. Most people would cut the harness wire without thinking, this leaves you having to make more splices and connections. You can actually get a crimp splice to make it easier. Use the crimp splice to add a short piece of wire to your harness and put a quick connect on the other end. Make sure to use liquid electrical tape on it and then wrap it in good, not $1 store, electrical tape to make sure it water tight.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:19 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

the splices i used were blue and very simular to the ones in the pic below. only had to cut the 4 pin connector off of the led bar wires....no other cutting involved. i used the blue sized ones w/o the gel internals...i did wrap them tight and seal them after install...

my pic below discribes how these splices are used....just put it anywhere on the vehicles wire without cutting, and place the led bar wire into the opposite side which doesnt let the wire go all the way thru. crimp down the top part and it sends the eletrical current through both wires...very simple....also, with the reverse wire on these plasmaglow bars, it is a thinner wire than the others, so you may have a bad connection and might need to strip the wire and fold it a few times...if that makes sense

[IMG]local://upfiles/46457/31DC9C7E15404EBFB2A9EBAAFE486668.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

also, i dont know if you plan on recessing it all the way in under your tailgate against the back wall using the tape provided with the swivel brackets (you will know what im talkin about when you look at it) or mount it to your tailgate itself....you can see in some pics, i mounted it to mine....i got 5 1" 90 degree brackets and actually bent them out between 100-110 deg. and spray painted the side black (not visable but if it was it would be the side looking at it from the rear with tailgate up)....i used rivets to connect the led bar to the brackets and predrilled and screwed the other end of the bracket into the bottom of the tailgate.

and a personal question about me. my front liscense plate trim cover thing i painted black and its got chips in it and faded some and my rear plate cover thing i panted black as well and it has faded. i was thinkin about maybe just getting them powdercoated. am i too ****?

Quick Reply: Fire&Ice Pics