3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

MUFFLER ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
RMUDBUGS
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MUFFLER ?

I'm looking for a performance muffler that is not much louder (if any louder) than stock. Any suggestions and where to a good place to order it from?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Default RE: MUFFLER ?

ORIGINAL: RMUDBUGS

I'm looking for a performance muffler that is not much louder (if any louder) than stock. Any suggestions and where to a good place to order it from?
Just about any muffler will be quiet if you leave on the resonators on....

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
fubar606

are they all as ugly as the one on my 07 slt

Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

borla is a quieter muffler than most while being a "performance muffler"....it has a very distinct sound as well. leave 1 resonator (i took off the rear reso) on and at idle, you will barely be able to hear the exhaust more than stock, when you step on it you will get a nice rumble that isnt too loud, especially in the cab...for our trucks, you need either a borla pro xs muffler or a borla turbo muffler. i was in contact with a borla rep and he told me basically the mufflers are the exact same and will produce the same sound at the same volume level.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 AM
RMUDBUGS
Professional

I was planning on leaving the front resonator on. I don't want it to be load at highway speeds. I want to bring it out just before the right rear tire with asingle rectangle tip.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

well if you dont want loud at hw speeds, even with the radio off, i can barely hear it with windows up and if im goin 70, i cant hear it unless i puch it and rpms fly...windows down and you cant hear it...but get your truck at high rpms and it will be heard, although not like others....like i said, borla is a performance muffler that gives a distinct sound, and is probally one of the quieter mufflers. a lot of people dont like them bc of how quiet they are at normal driving speed/rpm.

it fits me perfect though since i do a lot of hw driving, 100 mi to school and back, i dont want to hear the drone all the time...like i said, normal driving speeds/rpm, you wont notice it, and if you do, its not by much...but if you want to be heard, then just step on it. but like i said, its not a loud muffler, at least not with our 4.7 and a reso on.

pm me if you want info on where to get it. i know a shop that has it new in box real cheap(havent found a place cheaper), warranty included

Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
RMUDBUGS
Professional

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

ORIGINAL: RMUDBUGS

I was planning on leaving the front resonator on. I don't want it to be load at highway speeds. I want to bring it out just before the right rear tire with asingle rectangle tip.
Just make sure you clean that wheel better. If you remember the '97 F-150s, the pipe came out before the tire and it corroded the rim. That's why if you see one, it usually has a green rim or two.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine exits like that and I haven't noticed any residue on the rim so far, had the exhaust on almost a month.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
RMUDBUGS
Professional

What size is the factory pipe? 2", 2 1/4", or 2 1/2".

Quick Reply: MUFFLER ?