3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:31 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Winter tires

ORIGINAL: BrewerBob

ORIGINAL: curtiplas

Brewer Bob... I'm just looking for winter tires... I have a set of summer tires already in mind... and the BFG A/T although technically not winter tires are rated well for the winter conditions if you look at the scoring provided by tire rack at the bottom of page you posted the link to

Frenchy... I have no clue what sipeing or w/e is... or getting a tire siped ...
Word of warning... the scoring on TireRack is written/given by people who have the tires and took the time to submit. These are (for the most part) your standard jackolopes that don't know beans about tires.

"These Generals are the best tires I've ever had on my Corolla wagon. It handles better than a Porsche 911 now."

I made that up but if you look long enough and hard enough you WILL find a comment or 3 like that. Some of the guys actually compare tires with their previous and have Autocrossing or some real world comparison. Not just comparing Eagles to Generals. Eagles may be good but they aren't the best. Remember I'm coming from the econo-sedan-sport segment.

As for using A/Ts in the winter, why would you? The ONLY reason to have summer tires and winter tires is to get the very best of both worlds otherwise just get one set of all seasons. If you are going to compromise with winters then I hate to even ask what you picked for summers.

You only have 4 small patches of rubber keeping you in contact with the road. Those 4 patches have to turn and stop a 4700 lb truck. Never accept an inferior tire.

Tires are one of my few passions. /End of soapbox/
Well yes they are by users so many people will not know what they are talking about but that doesn't mean that they can't give a semi-accurate tire rating in the different categories..

As for A/Ts I've heard they're alot better in winter than most tires...and as far as summer tires I'm getting General Grabber UHPs which are the best Summer/sport tires I've seen so far for the Dakotas..

and I do believe that if A/T tires weren't good for getting Tracktion in ****ty conditions... I.E. Mud... which is actually quite similar to heavy snow... as far as driving condtions... correct me if I'm wrong...

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner

man, so many options, idk what im going to do when it comes that time
hahaha thats so true I figured it would take a while to decide so thats why I posted it soo soon...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
BrewerBob
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: curtiplas

Well yes they are by users so many people will not know what they are talking about but that doesn't mean that they can't give a semi-accurate tire rating in the different categories..
Right just keep it in mind especially when reading the reviews. Now if you are reading TireRacks tests then you can take the ratings as gospel. They test tires on the same track, same car, same psi, same driver even. Again I don't know about truck tires but they will test a certain size tire on a BMW 325 or Civic whatever and then do a write-up. If you drive an Audi then the tires won't be quite the same because of differences in weight, suspension, geometry, etc.

As for A/Ts I've heard they're alot better in winter than most tires...and as far as summer tires I'm getting General Grabber UHPs which are the best Summer/sport tires I've seen so far for the Dakotas..
They LOOK nice but looks mean nothing. Two similiar tread patterns will react entirely different. I donlt know if Generals are good, bad, or indifferent. I like Kumhos and Falkens myself.

and I do believe that if A/T tires weren't good for getting Tracktion in ****ty conditions... I.E. Mud... which is actually quite similar to heavy snow... as far as driving condtions... correct me if I'm wrong...
Yes and no. A/T is better than all seasons but it still isn't a snow/ice tire. Tires like everything else is about compromise. Drag radials would be best in the summer but you'd have to change them once a week. The other extreme is the 80,000 tire. They will last forever but are hard as rocks and have a similiar traction coefficent.

There are differences even between snow and ice tires. Those are two different tires even. I don't know much about ice tires but snow tires will have far more sipes than a mud tire. Look at the super swampers. Those are mud tires. No sipes at all. Just big "paddles" to row thru the mud. That ain't going to work in snow. It might in deep fresh powder but on day two it won't. The snows I posted a picture of earlier is filled with sipes and of varying lengths. THOSE are snow tires. The ones I have for the Sentra didn't have varying lengths.

Well, gotta run. If you want to know more just post and I will be back later.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:03 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

So does anyone on here actually use snow or ice tires for their Dak in the winter...?? or just A/Ts?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:25 PM
bkjtimp
Veteran

AT's for me, but I didn't put them on till the spring, so I haven't used them in snow yet. They've gotta be ahellafalot better then those Eagle LS's....Those sucked in the snow (I live in New England).

Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

my BFG ATs work great in winter. I have 2WD and they performed in light snow with no chains just fine. So if you get snow...with chains would be nice.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

yeah I doubt I'd put chains on my tires though...

Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 AM
bkjtimp
Veteran

btw, these General Grabber AT2's have small holes in them so you can easily screw in studs when needed! I may try that this winter for jollys!

Quick Reply: Winter tires