3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Amsoil question trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 AM
luvmydak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil question trans fluid

This is for those who have changed out their trans fluid as well . I realize the entire system has to be purged of the old fluid (transfer case, torque converter and pan) and replaced at the same time. Did those of you who had it done have it done at a shop that had a machine that flushed the old and pumped the Amsoil universal right in behind it? Did the pan have to be drained and the filter replaced first? Need info on this. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Default RE: Amsoil question trans fluid

The last time I had the tranny flushed, my wife took it to Jiffy Lube or some such and they screwed it up. Had to take it to another shop to fix
It is not that difficult to do it yourself.

The transfercase is easy enough, pull the plug and drain. Get a hand siphon to pump the new oil in.

For the transmission pan, the back four bolts are kinda blocked by the crossbrace. Could you remove them without removing the crossbrace? Possibly, but I went ahead and removed it anyways. The transfer case sagged somewhat, but nothing critical. 4 bolts and some presuasion and it comes out, I had to use the jack to wedge it back up. While you have it off, you may as well replace the filters, there are two, the flat one and aa spin on. The kit I got came with a gasket.

For the Torque Convertor you need to get a 'quick disconnect tool'. I went to autozone and got the 9.99 quick disconnect set, just a bunch of plastic pieces. If you go http://www.diesel-central.com/News/ford-ac3.htmthat is what they kinda look like, and I needed to use a very small blue one to get it to disconnect. IMO this is not really the 'proper' tool as I had to play with it to get the wire to pop up, but it will work. A metal one would have been much easier, but there were none that were small enough.

The output line from the torque converter is on the bottom of the radiator/passenger side (don't be directly under it when you pull it loose, you get fluid leaking almost immediately). I had 6 empty amsoil quart bottles from the pan, and 8 for the torque converter, had the wife turn the truck on and off, as I filled one quart, I had my son add another quart until I went through all eight bottles.

It took a bit longer, but I know it was done properly...

Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker
Default RE: Amsoil question trans fluid

ya, thats how ive always heard to do it too, untill you see nice clean fluid

Old 11-27-2013, 09:13 PM
sparks1032
Rookie

I guess I find it interesting nobody else has spoken up on what and how to change the transmission fluid? Did everyone really replace 8 quarts of fluid and both filters? and if so what filters did you get and what kit did you use? was the gasket needed? i thought the transmission gasket was re-usable? is it not?

Old 11-29-2013, 01:29 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If the transmission is a 45/545RFE, then you would replace both filters and add 8 to 12 qts of atf+4 to the transmission, But if you have a 42RLE transmission. Then you would the one filter and add 4.5 qts of atf+4. Now if want to flush the system, Then I recommend to use 10 qts of atf+4. I would use a flush machine and not remove a cooler line to flush the system. I would not flush a 45RFE transmission, because when replacing both filters. You may have only one to two qts left in the transmission.

Quick Reply: Amsoil question trans fluid