3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Gas Pedal Creak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007 | 08:53 AM
ScottD
|
Amateur
Default RE: Gas Pedal Creak

Tried some more stuff this weekend. Thought the cable was catching on the grommet where it goes through the gas pedal. Isolated the cable using a rubber hose that fit in there, that wasn't the problem. The only thing left is the cable itself somehow is binding slightly. How can I lube the cable? Is this what the graphite would do, would I take the cable out and run the graphite down into the cable housing itself? Either that or I'm just going to get a new cable.

Old 09-24-2007 | 09:25 AM
ScottD
|
Amateur

Ok, I think I have finally figured out what is going on.

On my truck from the factory the throttle cable was routed around the heater hoses to the firewall. This caused it to be tight, it pressed up against the dipstick tube and it rocked with the motor. It loosed it up in the firewall and that's what was making the noise. Ihad it out this weekend and tried a few different things anddiscovered this after Iran it under the heater hoses and then back over the heater hoses. The noise was much worse with it overthe heater hoses. My fix is Iordered a new cable (yes my truck is under warranty but the cable is $20 and I don't have toargue with a service writer to replaceit) and I'll route it under the heater hoses when I install it.

Old 09-24-2007 | 11:42 AM
DakotaStone
Champion

ORIGINAL: curtiplas

IC... well I'll keep an eye out for my gas pedal creakin' too... off the top of my head though... I don't think it does... its hard to tell most of the time cuz my music is so loud... so you'll have to wait until the next time my gf is in the truck.... cuz I'm not allowed to listen to the music so loud when she's in the truck... lol
You might want to take some WD40 to the hinges and maybe...I can't remember if it has a spring or not. I never had a problem with any squeaks in my clutch or gas pedal.

Old 10-24-2007 | 03:25 PM
ScottD
|
Amateur

The fix was to get a new cable and route it under the heater hoses. I also used one cable tie around the cable in the middle of it to keep it near the firewall. It will still creak a little when cold but when warm the problemis completely gone. Odd but at least it is fixed. Other than this issue (knock on wood) this has been a great truck so far.

Old 10-25-2007 | 09:42 AM
rookie
Captain

I get a little squeak when i engage the clutch after shifting at low rpms w/ a slight load. I only notice it on the 1-2 shift. very hard to hear. Sounds like a belt slipping for a fraction of a second. It's done it since it was new, and i barely notice it.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Creak