3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Yes, I am a Dodge noob with a ???.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007 | 12:03 PM
daary
Default Yes, I am a Dodge noob with a ???.

My apologies up front for such a noob question. I found this forum and there is a plethora of information, and for that I thank everyone in assisting with my education. I have been searching throughout the motor for the PCV on my '06 Dakota 4.7 SLT. The manuals show it being on the side of the oil filler (thank you for the manual / link, much appreciated) but it is not there, running my hand all the way down the filler, nada. Has anyone found it on this vehicle? I purchase mine with a 5 year extended warranty (was a used vehicle with 34K miles on it (rental) which was being sold as "Certified", but now I am doubting that they did the maint on it as per the schedule), so currently it is at the shop (after 2 weeks of ownership) whereas the Actron CP9185 showed the timing all over the place at idle, and when it attempted to die on me yesterday, then when revving the motor in neutralto 3500 it shook like a wet dog, it needs some attention.

Anyhow, I plan on changing the plugs this weekend, trying to find the PCV to make sure it is "fresh" as well, but cannot find it. Any assistance in locating it would be greatly, and I mean GREATLY, appreciated. I have looked all over the valve covers, the oil filler, and traced all hoses to attempt to find it, did not want to ask without doing my part first.

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry for the nooblet question.
Darrell

Old 10-09-2007 | 12:08 PM
daary
Default RE: Yes, I am a Dodge noob with a ???.

Oh and I am sorry, but I have been burned on an old V8 with Champion plugs, which the dealer told me were OE, so was planning on either Irridum or Bosch Platnum, anyone had any experience with these, am I an iddiot? (answer probably yes there in real life, but I mean just for this plug selection ).

Thanks again,
Darrell

Old 10-09-2007 | 02:20 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

As far as the PCV goes I'm not sure, haven't needed to locate it on mine yet. For the spark plugs a few guys tried different stuff and found our engines don't like platinums or iridiums very much. A lot of us are running the Autolite 3923's, I just installed them on my 4.7 this weekend and I'd say they're an improvement. Mine would occasionally idle a slight bit rough, hasn't done it once since the new plugs and it seems like it's got a tiny bit more kick to it (although that could be psychological).

Old 10-09-2007 | 02:26 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

You got to add the power wire. It's a .99 performance kick that works. Just search all the strings on "power wire" and you will know what I'm talking about.

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:01 AM
superdak05
Champion

we dont have pcv, we have egr. valve

Old 10-11-2007 | 11:17 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

I bought platinums for my engine...switched back to copper 2 months later.

Old 11-04-2007 | 11:40 AM
daary

Well, took it into the dealer, looks like they did not do the 30K mile service so got real nasty with the dealership, they did it for free. Changed plugs, cleaned fuel injection, cleaned air intake, and what did it accomplish, nada, still got this miss. The service "co-ordinator" when I called back told me that I was driving myself insane looking for a non-existant problem, told him he was insane for letting it out of the shop when the warranty which pays for everything for the next 5 years. Of course, he said that the prom didn't need being flashed, that it was "Not affected by that problem".

Hooked it up to the diagnostic reader and I still see the advance jumping about 8 -12 degree's all the time (full 30 minutes of watching and had a friend watching while I was driving, levels out when driving, any idle and bam it's back),if you put a bottle of water in any cup holder you can watch the water splash around (that's how bad it seems to be "missing" or out of time). Going to try opening up the air intake with the mod out here (thanks a bunch, on the old '98 F150 I just used a dremmel tool and opened the top, really helped with the HP and fuel) and see if that helps any, but doubtful whereas this looks like a timing issue (all computer there, or the cam).

Thanks for the pointer on the EGR, looked in the Haynes book and they even showed a PCV on the side of the oil filter (sent them an e-mail about that one). Back to the drawing board, it is getting about 15.5 MPG in town (4.7) so that is not too bad, but I don't accept the service manager's "This is how they idle, it's just a big engine", my '77 430 idled smoother than this (and I like the truck BTW, sounds like I am whining about it, but DAAAANG, wish I had bought a Dak earlier).

Thanks again for the help here, it is appreciated.
Darrell

Old 11-05-2007 | 12:23 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Everyone says to use the AutoLite 3923 plugs for our trucks, so try those. It's on my to do list for the next few weeks.

Quick Reply: Yes, I am a Dodge noob with a ???.