3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

fooling the computer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
skikir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fooling the computer

If you were to put a resistor in PARALEL with the sensor to make the computer believe the air temp is higher that would make the computer cut back on the fuel. Right? I have this nagging feeling that my truck is running too rich. I perfer more MPG to more power since I've never used full throttle even with the 3.7. (I use my truck for truck work and have a sports car and a motorcycle for fun...but it's raining)
There is a fuel/airmixture that burns all the fuel and gives the best bang for the volume delivered. If the mixture is running too rich it gives a cold slow burn and does not completly burn the fuel which goes out the tail pipe. weaker mixture burns hotter more explosively which can burn parts and create more oxides. I have this feeling that the engine is running way too rich to avoid the oxides for polution control and not for best MPG.

What about changing the T stat to 180* and putting a power wire in line with the engine temp sensor to make the computer think the engine is 190*. That would make the computer to think it's at normal temp alow more timing advance and avoid detonation. Right?
It's all about fooling the computer.
If it wasn't for polution controls there should not be any reason we could not see 25+MPG with todays technology.
Yeah yeah I could but a chip or get a programmer but that woud be a good $250 mimimum and if I had to spend $250 to get one MPG I would have to drive 27,000 miles to get a pay back at current fuel price.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fooling the computer

I would be very careful about leaning out the fuel mixture without proper tuning. The risks are far greater to your engine running lean than running rich.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

I know a few people swear by the power wire thing but playing with the computer is dangerous. If you have the new lifetime warranty or even the 7 year powertrain warranty you will void it if the mods you do cause problems. I know people will say you can remove the stuff before taking it to the dealer but why play with fire. I wish my dakota could get 20 or more mpg but It ain't gonna happen and its not worth the chance of damaging something. With the gas stations changing from the summer to winter blend gas the mpg's are going to go down anyway. My advice, just drive easy and hope summer comes early.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

The power wire is the most benign mod you can make and yet it makes a profound difference. It’s easy cheap simple and dramatic in regards to performance. Mopars always ran best in chilly or cold weather. All you’re doing is faking the computer to think the input ambient air is cooler. Once the ambient air is actually cooler as in fall to winter weather the power wire has no influence since the air temp is at or lower than the fake value of the sensor. It takes less than a minute to pull for a dealer visit. CAIs TB & other mods are far more invasive and in your service departments face.

Quick Reply: fooling the computer