3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

NEEDED: Pics of aftmkt Bumper Guards

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 PM
AdidasCJ
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEEDED: Pics of aftmkt Bumper Guards

i hope you throw that son of a bitch in the bed of the truck and took it home to eat it! that was my thing when i lived in the chicago land area... i said if i EVER hit a deer, im take that son of a bitch home and eat it, and mount the head!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

hey studly, i noticed your sig says future mods being a solid axle swap...have you ever done this before on other vehicles? how hard is it to do that?

Old 11-16-2007, 12:33 AM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well ive done leafs all around & that was the plan because they're the easiest. I was first thinking maybe some the Ram axles would go well under there but they'd be too big and overkill IMO. So now have my heart set on Grand Cherokee axles..for several reasons: [ol][*]keep F/R axles from same vehicle-it'll make finding parts later easier[*]they're pretty stout axles and have lots of aftermarket support[*]come with discs F/R brakes & no issues with ABS (fittings may need some adapting) [/ol]But when I looked deeper into the truck the frame does some weird stuff on the front. It goes from box, hexagon shaped, and then cylindrical. And all this is from the back of the strut to the bumper. I could weld up some brackets to the front but I figured that funny frame has a lot to do absorbing impacts. So I'd loose my suspension if I did do leafs.

So coilovers would be the easiest and least time consuming. There's a calculator out on the net you can find to help determine the ideal length of your long arms if you four link it(the front that is)

But I'll only do this after I get my jeep up and running again with a new wiring harness(January hopefully) and my warranty runs out. But should a good lift come out for our truck, enough to clear 33s or 35s I'd rather waste my money on it then put my truck outta service for a couple of weeks.

But to answer your question...no I've never done a solid axles swap but I have swapped axles enough F/R to feel comfortable attempting it...when I first wrote that sig I had the leaf spring idea in my head. Coils would be a bit more work by myself. I'd only need to address steering which can be addressed with hydraulics, driveshafts, and brakes.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:21 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

That's some good information.Because to tell you the honest truth I would love to get a solid front axle when I convert to 4x4. So the grand cherkoee axles are pretty good choices for our trucks? That's good to know, I'm trying to get in touch with someone that builds rock crawlers, should have enough experience to cut off my front suspension and put on a solid front one. I'm just not a fan of the independant suspensions

Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. IFS isn't stout enough for pure offroad. But converting to a solid axle and 4x4will be like swallowing a grenade down your bank accounts throat to see how much money will trickle out. Ouch![&o]

Hope it goes well. Maybe you can find most of the parts from a junkyard or ebay.

Quick Reply: NEEDED: Pics of aftmkt Bumper Guards