3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Christmas gift and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas gift and questions

alrighty guys, some of you know i was planning on getting a set of duel ballast HIDs for my driving lights and a set of HIDs for my fogs as well, all for my christmas/chanukah/birthday gift from the folks...

side note to explain christmas/chanukah/birthday....dad is catholic, mom is jewish. i was raised and am a jew, but we do both at our home. my birthday is jan 2 so....

so anyway, i was talking to my dad, and he knows i want the HIDs but would rather get me something i actually could use more. first thing that came up was tires. i dont NEED them right now, but with the snow, and offroading i do (i dont go out like jimbo all the time, but i spend a **** load of time off the beaten path out on our lease, farms, ect ect. and yes my truck gets dirtier than you would ever imagine, you just always see pics of it spotless ) anyway....we decided on tires as they would be a lot more beneficial. since im getting new tires, i figured id like to put the leveling kit on at the same time...so here we go

i know i could search, but w/e....anyway, there are a few options for the leveling kit and truckmaster seems to be the most popular by far. i also understand there is a newer version of the truckmaster kit that is easier on our suspension. can you guys tell me why it is so much better than the old version, and why truckmaster is the best? if you went with something else, also tell me why please. this i will be buying myself, but figure to have it put on when getting new tires is the best time to have it installed

also, i need it to be 4x4 compatible, which i heard some are not. why is that?

we talked about tires, which was very easy. i have my dad and a few other friends that had some tako's and switched to toyo open country a/t's....that is the tire i want, and the tire i will be getting. everyone i know that made the switch has been more that satisfied and say it preforms better in all conditions. here is a pic of it..i will get it with blackwalls. they also come with a 50k mile tread warranty. dad already has 60k on his tires and can prob get another 30k.... anyway, with the leveling kit, largest size i can w/o rubbing?

sidenote for those that want to know how to make a new thread. this is how you make a new thread

edit
someone had a pic of a dak with a leveling kit next to a dak w/o the kit. anyone have that pic? i did look for it but couldnt find it

Old 11-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Christmas gift and questions

Drew, random question, you bought your truck brand new, right?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:45 PM
nowick
Professional

I think it is you that does a lot of towing, anyway so do I and I had the leveling kit looked great when you have no load but when you hook up a boat it looks so dumb. Yor might want to lift the rear as well so you can avoid the driving uphill look.I think there is a airbag system that works well for leveling the rear as well.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Ya Drew, I'd look into bags for the rear...

That way if you do tow anything, you can fill the bags up so it doesn't have that HUGE, sag in the middle.

just an idear.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

yes i did buy it brand new and yes i do a lot of towing. not much in the winter, but a quite bit in the summer. i was at first thinking of just the leveling kit, but then i started thinking about a leveling kit and and blocks in the rear. rough country has a 2.5" front leveling kit but for $100 more you can get 1.5" rear blocks, new U bolts, and some rough country nitrogen filled shocks for the rear. i wish blistein would hurry up and come out with their shocks but im sure these nitro shocks have to be better than our rear shocks....only thing is, this RC kit is for the 2 wheel drive trucks, not the 4x4. there is supposed to be one in the making and should be about done. idk when it will hit the market though, i pm'd the RC dude thats on here

i figure with the front leveling kit, and the rear blocks, there will be a VERY small rake, which isnt bad, it would be better than it is now. but the truck would seem to sit a bit higher, and with the new bigger tires, it will sit a tad higher, so the rake wont seem as bad. but with the leveling kit and the rear blocks, when i tow, it shouldnt be bad. ive thought about getting some helper springs. i dont want bags

and joe, i rolled 30,900 tonight...its been a year and a half[&:]

Old 11-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Dude definitely get the trailmaster kit. I could explain to you why it's better if I hadn't drank as much as I did but PM me and I'll explain it to ya tomorrow

Old 11-23-2007, 03:22 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

pm on its way in t minus 5 (it will be there by the time you read this)

Old 11-23-2007, 03:31 PM
AdidasCJ
Veteran

if your looking into tires that will preforum on and off road, look into just about any All Terrain tire. I had the BFG A/Ts on my last dak and they held up really well. I was able to handle snow, water, dirt farily well.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

went to the tire shop today, and i decided i am definately going with the toyo open country a/t's.....my stock size is 265/65/17.....what would be the largest i could get? 270/70/17 or 275/70/17 or 285/70/17?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Frenchy
Banned

I'm pretty sure a 275/70/17 would fit... especially with the front leveling...

I'm fitting a 265/75/16 with the rear lowered, and I have no rubbing...

And the 275/70/17 is .5" taller, overall...

Not 100% sure though...

Quick Reply: Christmas gift and questions