3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lift block question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift block question

I've seen where some of you guys have posted that you've installed 1" lift blocks on the rear of your 05-07 Dakota. I'm assuming for the same reason I want to, to offset the amount of lift a leveling kit gives the front end.

My question is about the u-bolts. Theonly ones I've been able to find are universal kits and they are about 3/8 to 1/2 too narrowover the stock ones and aren't wide enoughfor the axle tube. I remember reading where someone said they bought theirs at Autozone so I went there and those bolts were too narrow too.

Is this a problem, and where did you guys find the right width bolts? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 AM
vandutton
Rookie
Default RE: Lift block question

I got the ones at Autozone and they just bolted right up, no problems whatsoever. What size axle do you have?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Racinartist
All Star

I assumed the rear and axle tubes were standard for an 05 quad cab 4X4. [&:]I haven't measured the tube, but when I went to Autozone I took a u-bolt out to the truckand held it bolt tip to bolt tip and it was a bolt width too narrowcompared tothe OEM bolt.

I don't want to get a kit that will cause issues somewhere down the road.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Hunterdude

I had the same problem. I couldn't find the correct width and length anywhere in my town so I had one of the commercial truck places bend me custom ones. They can make any size you need and the cost was reasonable.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came from the autozone kit as well, they were the exact same width and angle as the stock u-bolts, except they were way to long, so I had a shop cut them a bit shorter, they bolted right up.

You sure they are the wrong size, they might not match tip to tip, that doesnt mean the bottom end where it wraps isnt the right size, it just means the metal could have been over or under angles a tiny bit, so it shows at the ends.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 PM
blkdak246

NO, I'm in the same boat as "Racinartist." I tried putting the rear blocks on from advanced auto parts and the U bolt diameter was about 1/2 inch too small. There is NO way it would fit around my axle. I actually had the OEM Ubolt off....and no workee.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Racinartist
All Star

ORIGINAL: blkdak246

NO, I'm in the same boat as "Racinartist." I tried putting the rear blocks on from advanced auto parts and the U bolt diameter was about 1/2 inch too small. There is NO way it would fit around my axle. I actually had the OEM Ubolt off....and no workee.
Is yours also a 4X4? Maybe they have wider axle tubes than the 2WD version?

And that still leaves me with this...does anyone know where I can get ready-to-bolt-on u-bolts without having to get them custom bent by a suspension/spring shop? Without going out and throwing a tape measure on the OEM boltsin the dark in 23 degree weather with 40 mph winds (what's up with THAT?) I would guesstimate that they are around 4" on center.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 AM
mikey111k
Rookie

I would imagine you could talk to rough country suspension since thay have a lift kit for us and the back is done with blocks so they must have the right u bolts. Either see if you can get just the bolts from them or the whole rear lift kit.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:54 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah mikey is right, I am sure that rough country can sell you just the kit for the back, or just the U-bolts. I cant understand why some of you are getting the wrong size U-bolts with the kit (autozone kit)....unless its a different kit.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Racinartist
All Star

I looked at Rough Country already and didn't see where they have ANYthing for 05-07 Dakotas. Can someone offer up a link that shows 1" blocks and u-bolts for a 4X4? Thanks.

Monkeywrench, I even talked to a guy who sells the same kit on Ebay and he said they are the supplier for Autozone, so it has to be the same part. His u-bolts are 3 1/4 wide on center. The part number at Autozone on the kit I found was 13-1000.

Quick Reply: Lift block question