3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

TM Level...idea for 3"...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TM Level...idea for 3"...

What was the issue with putting the spacer on top of the strut? I've been thinking about easy ways to come up with 3" of lift. I've been tossing the idea of buying the TM kit then taking 1/2 the total height of the spacer and making my own spacer. Maybe put the TM kit as instructed and put my 1/2 sized mockup on top of the strut.

The only worries would be CV angles and alignment but I'd have to worry about that after I did it. I am thinking it will stiffen the ride up tho. Does the TM kit do that now?

The most important thing is to find out what was originally wrong with the kit and will this happen with my 1/2 scale version in combo with TM's kit. Let me know your thoughts.

If some who put it on the orig way and know what to look for regarding issues then I can.

I'll do it if enough approve...just need to get the TM kit first

Old 12-03-2007, 12:52 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Default RE: TM Level...idea for 3"...

also how much lift have some of you typically gotten? If your gettn 2+ on avg then I may use 1/3 instead of 1/2.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

ORIGINAL: studlyblueiz

also how much lift have some of you typically gotten? If your gettn 2+ on avg then I may use 1/3 instead of 1/2.
I think most people get 2" or a little under. I didn't measure mine before I had it put on but it sits perfectly level with the back now. It does stiffen up the front a little, which I find to be a good thing, still need decent shocks though.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
pro4x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the kit that truxxx was selling. It went on top of the strut. They told me it would work on a 4x4 but when I took the truck to get the alignment done they couldn't do it because the front axles were binding up. I had to take the kit off and send it back. So I don't think putting anything on top of the strut would work unless you can fix the binding problem. 2 inches I believe is the limit with these trucks unless you lower the front differential and mantain the factory angles to avoid binding.
My 2 ideas are what about using a taller spring with the strut or getting rid of the strut and using a coil spring with a shock in the middle.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been done before, and it hasnt worked. The stock spacer is 7/8th an inch, and i think someone cheated it with another half an inch spacer on top of it, and it didnt lift the truck any more at all, i think the end result was about 1.6" lift.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran

If you swap in coils you'd have a lot of welding work to do...I don't think you could get any coil buckets to weld to the lower arms. I'm sure we could find some struts to another vehicle that may be longer and fit...I feel like the new fords use struts too...could be wrong and should've looked it up first. Maybe find some struts with a 3" gain and lower the axle an 1"

Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran

ORIGINAL: MonkeyWrench4000

This has been done before, and it hasnt worked. The stock spacer is 7/8th an inch, and i think someone cheated it with another half an inch spacer on top of it, and it didnt lift the truck any more at all, i think the end result was about 1.6" lift.
That doesn't seem right to me...unless i'm thinking this all wrong:
If the TM kit avgs 2" then the 7/8" spacer should've increased the spring compression raising the truck. Adding something outside of the strut assembly should only shift the strut mounting Xheight and increase byX amount...right!?!

Old 12-04-2007, 03:51 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt understand what you meant, you want to add a spacer to the outside? Then im sure it will lift the ammount you add. What I was talking about is adding a second plate, increasing spring compression even more, which didnt result in any more lift then the standard kit.

Couldnt you just try combining the new Rough Country kit, and then the TM spacers to compress the spings?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran

Well, maybe on 2wd...I'm sure you could...that'd give them 4" of lift. Someone with 2wd should try it there's no cv's to worry about.

4wd shouldn't if there were issues with the old way of installing the TM kit.Which is why I need to know what they were so I can look for it before I screw my truck up.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
white26golf
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have a TM kit here I won't need in about a week or so. If you want it, it is up for grabs. Just PM me, and we can work out how to get it to you, if you are willing to wait a week or two to get it.