3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Newbie....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007 | 12:04 PM
sheridon
Default Newbie....

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums. I dont have a Dakota yet but Im looking to pick one up tonight. Is there anything that I should know to look for (problems, fixes...etc.)?

Im looking at an 06 club cab, v6, with 17k on the clock

Thanks

Old 12-06-2007 | 01:55 PM
jimboscomp
All Star
Default RE: Newbie....

Seems ok to me, just remember it's a pain in the butt to lift! Personally I'd say get a V8, but that's me. The brakes should be ok on the 06 models and up, and the shocks are a bit flimsy. That's about it!

Old 12-06-2007 | 02:02 PM
sheridon

I would really like to geta v8, however.. I dont want to fuel that beast and I really have no need for the v8 power. I'm trading a 06 Cobalt SS so this has far more power than that car does...

Old 12-06-2007 | 02:11 PM
sheridon

Oh sorry it a 2wd Auto...

Old 12-06-2007 | 03:08 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

I would find a V8 !

Old 12-06-2007 | 03:18 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

here is something to consider. a lot of fullsize trucks are getting BETTER mpg then us, so you know

Old 12-06-2007 | 03:25 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Welcome, Good place & good people here. I would go V8one mpg reported between the 6 & 8. The suspension is good and the frame is the best in the truck business. The factory front shocks are the pits. The Dak is screaming for a suspension lift to get it off-road worthy. It sits toooooo car like. I love my 07 now with 17k in 7 months. The forum knows me all to well and my 06 that was lemon lawed because of a bunch of problems including the engine clacking. This seems more prone to the HO but still happens on the regular 4.7. Stillit’s a solid truck and rides VERY quiet. IMO I love the looks of it and I get allot of comments. Hope you get one and let us help with any questions you have. Later

Old 12-06-2007 | 03:29 PM
Hunterdude

You might also want to consider that Dodges have ridiculously low resale value which helps you buy used now, but could get you stuck in it later if you don't get a good deal now. Since you're buying a 2wd I assume you don't care about offroad ability but if you do I would highly recommend staying away from the dakota. I don't mean to sound negative, my truck has been pretty good to me, butifIcould do things again I would pay the extra for a toyota or nissan in a heartbeat.Ithink though that you'll be happy with a dakota if you're just looking for a general on road only utility vehicle.

Old 12-06-2007 | 04:24 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

filter and fluid change at 17k??

ORIGINAL: ericemery

the V8 and V6 differ so slightly in MPG that its almost a non-issue... I get 20+ with my 4.7 if I drive like a normal person.

another thing to check is the tranny TSB... see if the original owner had it in for the new filter andfluid change. (you didnt mention ATX or MTX, so I assumed ATX)

Quick Reply: Newbie....