3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Factory flares

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 AM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pictures of '08 Factory flares on an '06

Wow thats cool.A dude on another forum said he was told the fronts wouldn't work on anything but the 08s by his dealers parts guy. Parts guy lied. They look very finished and factory installed.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered a set. Will have them color matched to the truck and will get the grille inserts done at the same time.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Racinartist
All Star

You're buying them color-matched, or taking them somewhere to have them painted before installation?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:31 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Racinartist

You're buying them color-matched, or taking them somewhere to have them painted before installation?
I'll take them to the guy that did the repairs when I got rear ended.
I'll have him paint and install them as well as paint my grille inserts at the same time since he'll have the paint already mixed. I've been thinking about both for a while but after reading the negative posts about the bushwhackers not fitting I sort of gave up on the idea. I would have liked the flairs with the bolt heads but these will be fine.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

ORIGINAL: graythang

Wow thats cool.A dude on another forum said he was told the fronts wouldn't work on anything but the 08s by his dealers parts guy. Parts guy lied. They look very finished and factory installed.
Most of the time the parts guy only knows what the computer lists for that stuff. If the computer doesn't show them fitting he'll probably tell you they won't. Can't blame them for not knowing information Dodge didn't supply them with.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Racinartist
All Star

ORIGINAL: Altair

Most of the time the parts guy only knows what the computer lists for that stuff. If the computer doesn't show them fitting he'll probably tell you they won't. Can't blame them for not knowing information Dodge didn't supply them with.
I actually checked with the parts guy at my dealership. I told him I needed a set of flares for an 08 TRX. Never mentioned a word about an 05 or it would have f-ed him up for 20 minutes. Finally, after 10 minutes of him searching the computer and catalogs, he found the flares. But when he went to write down the prices for me (they have some wierd thing there that they can't tell you, they have to write it out) he goes...ohhhh, they don't even have pricing for them yet. I was like, what a f%&^ing moron. Anyway, moral to the story is that when I told him I could buy OEM flares online for under $300 he was like, you better order them then. They won't that cheap through us. [&:]

JAB, I was looking through your pics and wondered about your speaker box/storage compartment in the club cab. At least that's what it looks like. I might be interested in finding one of those and trying to retrofit it for a quad cab. Do you mind telling me where you got it?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:41 PM
djsilver
Professional

To the folks that say they won't fit the 05-07, you didn't check my pictures. As to the issue about the curve of the front fender, there is a verysmall difference. I just stuck them on with the rivets they sent and they obviously look perfect in the pictures. There is a tiny gap (1/16"or less)right at the front edge of the front flare but a little washer or spacer under the front most rivet will twist the tip and close it up.When I get bored I'll drill out the very front rivet and fix it but it's so small I'm not worried about it right now. I included a closer uppicture but it doesn't really show up and I don't think it willunless I use the "macro" function on the camera and get within a couple of inches in a bright light.

The front bumper on the 05-07's is about an inch wider on each side than the front fender but the '08 bumper is flush with the fenders.The '08 bumper extensions could probably be made to work but would requirecareful trimming/bending. You could swap an '08 bumper on but you'd have to get the whole thing (not just the cover) because the bumper support structure is different. The main steel piece may be the same but the plastic end pieces are definately different. I think I'll just put some black tape on the corner to match the lines of the flares and see what it looks like. If I likethe look, I may just paint the corner of the bumper to blend with the flares!

I may be fresh meat on this forum but thisaint my first goat ropin' excercise!

[IMG]local://upfiles/81674/A534359465D245B78C723EDAA49C5B54.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Racinartist

JAB, I was looking through your pics and wondered about your speaker box/storage compartment in the club cab. At least that's what it looks like. I might be interested in finding one of those and trying to retrofit it for a quad cab. Do you mind telling me where you got it?
That is part of the factory installed Alpine 508 watt system [368 watts + 2 x 70 watts] it houses 1-10" sub with 2 tweeters and the 2 additional 70 watt amps it also has blue lights that glow to the beat of the music.

[IMG]local://upfiles/60833/DCC95CF673204ABA9D641E67855F837E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Racinartist
All Star

ORIGINAL: JAB02LHS

That is part of the factory installed Alpine 508 watt system [368 watts + 2 x 70 watts] it houses 1-10" sub with 2 tweeters and the 2 additional 70 watt amps it also has blue lights that glow to the beat of the music.

[IMG]local://upfiles/60833/DCC95CF673204ABA9D641E67855F837E.jpg[/IMG]
That shows you what I know. I didn't even know Dodge offered any Apline acoustics. I knew they offered Boston Accoustics and Kicker, but in 05 they didn't have any options for Apline.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 AM
herkguy
Veteran

DJsilver,
Thanks for takin the plunge. I've been debating getting these for months now and it is good to see that they do fit as expected. I'm contemplating getting them and having them color matched.

How big is the rubber seal? Do you think it would show much against red? could it be replaced with the standard slim foam tape?

Quick Reply: Factory flares