3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Factory flares

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 PM
herkguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory flares

Has anyone ordered these to put on an 05-07?
this site sells them for 296. http://www.partsformydodge.com/MC-DCEE-FGH.aspx

Second question, can anyone photo shop these flares to be paint matched to the body? I have a laramie and would want to paint match them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57176/53CB3FA9F31343BEB6691569143CEA48.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/57176/59AE21860D554687AB36C769AF043EBF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 PM
importkiller76
Veteran
Default RE: Factory flares

It looks like I have similar flares. I also have them painted to match the body. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 AM
herkguy
Veteran

You have any pics killer, just trying to get an idea how color matched look.

Still looking for a photo shop guru.....anyone Bueller

Old 12-07-2007, 11:18 AM
importkiller76
Veteran

O yea sorry lol. The pictures are not great but you can see the flares pretty good. I don't have a picture of it, but the only bad thing abuot these flares are that they cover part of my TRX sticker on the drivers side. Not a big deal to me, but it might be to you. Good luck with the flares. Lookin forward to see how they look on your truck...

truck.jpg

truck2.jpg

Old 12-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Importkiller, are those the Bushwacker flares? I've lookedinto those probably 100 times but just can't bring myself to buy them. I don't like the looks of them at all.

As far as the 08 OEM flares fitting our rides (05-07), I see two problems with a 'factory' fit, both beingwith the front flare. The first iswhere the bumper cover wraps around and meets the fender. It seems to me that the shape of the 08 bumper is slightly differentwhich would leave gaps around the bodywork. Of course, you could always leave that lower part of the flare off where it mounts to the bumper cover, since it is a separate piece.

The other is with the molded-in splash guards behind the rear fenderwell on the 05-07. Naturally, that guard would have to be removed since it is inset into the fender. So, unless the 08 flares would cover that entire area where the fender rolls underneath to the rocker (which it doesn't appear they do) it would look pretty crappy having that unfinished area on the lower part of the wheel well where the splash guards were after the flares were installed. The only fix for that would be bodywork to make it smooth with rest of the fender, then mount the flare over the newly made surface.

JMO

Old 12-07-2007, 04:30 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

I I don't really like the way the flares sit...but w/e to each his own

Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 PM
herkguy
Veteran

Thanks for the pics, I prefer the color match look.

Any photo shop artists yet....lol help

The 08 lower front fendes are the same as 05-07 so Dodge either removes the little mud guard on the TRX or the factory flares fit over them. Also I would probably not use that bumper piece. Would have to see if it could be worked or not. The flares should bolt right up though.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: herkguy

Thanks for the pics, I prefer the color match look.

Any photo shop artists yet....lol help

The 08 lower front fendes are the same as 05-07 so Dodge either removes the little mud guard on the TRX or the factory flares fit over them. Also I would probably not use that bumper piece. Would have to see if it could be worked or not. The flares should bolt right up though.
Could always try the photoshop section. I can only do pretty basic stuff, turning painted things a different color is far easier than turning unpainted plastic painted.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 AM
djsilver
Professional

Well, I stuck a set of these on my '06 Quad Cab tonight and they fit great. You remove the little flare at the rear of the front fenders and the TRX flares fill in and mount at the same attachement points. I had to drill the holes for the rears but everything fit.It's a4-pieceset and doesn't come with the extension pieces for the frontbumper so I don't know how much work that would be to modify and fit up. These flares have a rubber lip around the edges rather than sticky tape on the backside. They also come with instructions andthe big pop-rivets for mounting but they're bigger than the largest size on a normal pop-rivet gun. I made it work by taking the adaptor nose off of the gun completely and manhandling it. I'll post pictures when I get some dry daylight!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Do you have any pictures and product info of your truck you can post?

DA, sorry I see them above here.

Quick Reply: Factory flares