3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Couple noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
bdbowti
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple noob questions

So i am thinking about ordering a new Dakota sport with the 4.7 and tow package and 3.92 rear. What kind of mileage are you guys with similar set ups getting? Does anyone wish they had gone with the Ram instead of Dakota? I went to look at the Dakota because i liked that it was a smaller truck and more maneuverable and daily driver freindly then the big truck. But it still can be had with the V8 so i can pull a trailer for ATV's if i want to or whatever else without much issue. But now Ddoge has the $6k incentive on the Rams' and with my discount from work i can basically get a loaded up Ram for almost the same price as the Dakota. Just trying to decide which way to go. The dealer is telling me the the hemi will get better mileage becasue of the cylinder dropping stuff but i can't see that helping that big truck that much. I plan on keeping whatever i get for a long time and just want to make sure i make the right choice. so please chime in with any advice.

thanks

Old 01-03-2008, 05:13 PM
joeforum123
Default RE: Couple noob questions

Hi, I'm a noob, too, and still deciding which truck to buy. I started out looking at (used) 3rd generation Dakotas... I have a 2nd generation Dakota now with a V6.

Then, after shopping and doing research, I find I can get a Ram for about the same price. Many would say you get more truck with a Ram. I am looking at quad cabs, and my teenage boys will have to ride in the back, so I've decided to go with a Ram.

There are many threads in the 3rd generation Ram Forum talking about the mileage differences between the 4.7 Liter V8 and the 5.7 Liter Hemi. (I asked the same question on the 3rd gen. Ram forum a few days ago.) All the feedback indicates there is virtually no significant mileage difference between the two engines. Some say the Hemi actually does a little better gas mileage. The Hemi is much stronger and responsive. However, all the feedback indicated that both are good engines.

My conclusion is that gas mileage will not be a deciding factor. The Hemi costs about $1000 more, in both the new and used vehicles. I also have an incentive plan at work, and combined with the $6,000 rebates from Chrysler, you can get into a Ram for the same price as a Dakota. However, I will probably buy used to keep the price in the upper teens.

It comes down to your personal preference and what you feel more comfortable with. The Ram is a bigger truck, and you might prefer the more compact feel of the Dakota. On the other hand, the Ram is a very nice looking, very capable truck. ... and the Hemi is definitely an added plus.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

yeah but you both really need to ask the Dealership if your Work incentives are capable with the 6,000 dollar rebate! cause they may say you can have one or the other not both combined...just giving you a heads up about that. and the gas mileage the Hemi Motor does come with the MDS (multi Displacement System) which means when you stop at a stop light 2,4,6,8 cylinders stop and 1,3,5,7 keep going. this is because one of the banks for fuel is cut off when the car is at Idol Speeds or the truck is at a cruise speed! Really If I had the Choice I would have gone with the Hemi Motor i mean...340 Horsepwer compared to 302 now i guess...but really its what you like better...

Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

Well most of what I read about the mds system is it don't improve mileage much if at all. I traded a 2000 silverado Z71 4x4 ext cab long bed truck for the 05 dakota and I like the size of the dakota better than the full size trucks especially when I'm out hunting and driving down very narrow trails. That silverado was a big boat to drive. Since dodge upgraded the 4.7L V8 I was looking at a ram with that motor and with the rebates it would be about the same price as I paid for my dakota. I really don't need a full size truck and the dakota is basically a full size truck in a smaller package. So it all depends on what you want and what you want to spend. As far as gas mileage most all trucks don't get better than 16mpg in city driving.
Go to edmunds.com and read the customer reviews on the models you are looking at. If there isn't any for the 08 models read the 07 reviews. They will help.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Antjmar
Rookie

To answer your question. I get about 15 MPG highway 4.7 v8 auto with 3.92 and All Wheel Drive. I baby her and she is still "new" so that should improve.
If you want AWD Dakota is only choice.
New 4.7 is supposed to be more fuel efficient. IMO why would you pay $1000 more to get maybe 1-2 MPG better gas mileage? even if you got 2 mpg the $1000 would take 4-5 years to recover in fuel savings...
Also new 4.7 is 300HP sounds like adequate power IMO. The same sizeengine is in both Ram and Dakota so I would bet the the lightertruck will get better economy... Lastly If you are only towing an occaional ATV and are concerned about fuel economy get the 3.55 in either truck.
I think the dakotasuits more people as a work/playand is easier to manuever in city garages etc. Just my 2 cents...
just looked at dodge website 4.7 in Ram is only 235 HP... I gues they want to push the hemi!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
kzguns

my brother has a ram with the same 4.7 as my dakota and gets like 12-14 he just filled up and it was $94 ouch!!! i get between 16-18

Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

I get between 13 and 19 MPG. I would go for the Ram about the same MPG but more truck.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
bdbowti

I am still so torn on this lol. As i said before the size of the Dakota is what originally won me over. The biggest thing i like about the Ram is the price and the rear seat belts ratchet so it is very east to put a car seat in lol, oh plus i can get a Ram inwhite but can't get that on the Dakota Sport If the dealer could guarantee me that i would not lose the $6k incentive i would probably order a Ram but i know my luck and would be worried about losing the money. My wife and i are going ot the dealer tomorrow so i can take her out in the Ram and maybe once more in the Dakota then see if i can make a decision.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

WELL with w/e you get man welcome to the Dodge/Mopar Family!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Antjmar
Rookie

I wouldnt worrry too much about the $6000 rebate they were 'giving rams away" when I bought my Dakota 6 months ago too! With gas at $100 a barrel people arent in a hurry to get a big truck with a V-8! Of course the dealer wont "gaurantee" you the lowerprice. But with the internet you can find the truck and color you want without him. Sometimes dealers only "push" what they have on theirt lots! I found my truck in NJ (90 miles away) they had exactly what I was lookingfor we negotiated price via e-mail.I went once to look at it, signed paper work next dayI took train down there and drove it home....

Quick Reply: Couple noob questions