3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Wiring for ACC/ON Operation

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:01 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for ACC/ON Operation

I wired the power leads to my CB today, tried to do my best to get them tucked up in the headliner, down the A pillar cover, and under the weather stripping. I used crimp connectors vs. solder for the time being, but I plan on going back and soldering everything after I get everything else installed, tuned and tested.

My question is, how can I wire the CB up to operate only in the ACC and ON key positions?Currently it's hardwired to the fuse box positive lead, so I can run the CB any time. But, the first time I kill my battery in an airport parking lot because I forgot to turn off the CB over the weekend, I'm gonna be pissed...

I want it to get juice only when the stereo does, has anyone wired up other accessories in a similar way?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Wiring for ACC/ON Operation

wire it into the back of the cig lighter it will be key on or acc only.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:28 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

that would be the easiest way to do it

Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
patman0323
Professional

or the other thing you can do is keep the wire at the fuse panel. there is one spare fuse that is a switched power (only works in ACC/ON position) i cant remember off the top of my head which one it is. as long as you have a volt meter you can test to see which one it is. i will check later to tell you what fuse i ran all my stuff to.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:53 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Thanks for the tips guys. The cig lighter idea I like, because it will let me keep all the power wiring in the cab.

I just ran out to take a look at that area, and I can see the plug clearly from the footwells, but I can barely get my paws in there, let alone get any leverage to pull the plug out. Dodge Tech- what did you do to get better access back there?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Nice, thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what I wanted to do when I put my efan in is put my own fuse box for BATT and IGN. Advanced Auto sells small universal fuse boxes(I think it's a 6 circuit). My local one only had one so I've held off till another came in. I ran 10ga wire for BATT and 16ga for IGN from the stock fuse box(you can check out my efan write up on how I brought wires in cab and what IGN source I tap'd into). Once you get your wires in and mount the two small fuse boxes you get 12 plug-ins for BATT & IGN. So whenever you add more accessories it'd be easy to hook up.

Not necessarily needed but may make life easier down the road. You can only use the cirgarette lighter for a few sources before you overload the circuit. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Robert -

That was a nice wiring job; I was all ready to tap the fuse box, until both Pep Boys and O'Rielly's couldn't get me a fuse piggyback. I didn't believe them at first, but their fuse section had nothin [:@]...that's what brought me here.

But anyway, that #58 audio amp fuse is ignition-switch controlled, feeds your mini fuse box, which passes power on your fan controller...do I have that right?

If I could find a fuse tap, I would prefer to do it that way. I was pretty disappointed with the local stores.

Quick Reply: Wiring for ACC/ON Operation