3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Newbie question on Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Kacy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question on Synthetic Oil

Hey everyone...just discovered the forum and I have thusfarreceived valuable information...so thank you for sharing your failures and successes. Now to my first question for this forum...

I have the '05 Dak SLT 4.7 with 34k miles on it. I have always used the recommended oil, but I have been wondering lately should I switch to synthetic..or maybe the better question is CAN I switch to syntheic with my current mileage. If it is not advantages to switch at this point, then I will continue with the use of conventional motor oil.I hear of the benefits to having synthetic, and I want this truck to last awhile, so any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Kacy

Old 01-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Cadillac15
Professional
Default RE: Newbie question on Synthetic Oil

Perfect time to switch to synthetic. Amsoil for the win. get better gas mileage. Filter change every 7500 miles, Oil change every 15,000 miles. yeah, its worth it.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Kacy

I think I found my answers on the Common Questions - Read This First post...

If anyone else has something to share go ahead...but the earlier post pretty much sums it up!

Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

ya you can switch. i have always used mobile 1, and my dad has as well. over a year ago, we opened a boat dealership, and he became an amsoil dealer. hes switched over from mobile 1 and now swears by it. i havent made the jump, but next oil change ill give it a go

Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I use Amsoil, it is never too late to switch over to synthetic. It really cuts down on friction in the motor increasing motor life and increasing MPG's.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

I just made the switch to Syn. Mobil One 10W 30. No-way 5W20 its like vegible oil to me. I guess I'm just old school but that seems wayto lite. I plan to change the filter at around 7k and full changes around 14+k. I'm going to use Amsoil on the next change. I noticed a millage change from the get go. I'm getting almost a full mile per gallon extra. I'll take it! See if I canslow this $140.00 a week habit.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Bionicrooster
Professional

Another question, when switching over is there anything that needs to be done other than changing filters (and is there a special filter for synthetic?) ? Just drain the old oil, change the filter, and add the new synthetic? And is 5W20 the way to go?

Sorry for all the questions, just never missed with synthetic before

Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use normal oil filters. They make filters that will "withstand" the longer length you run the oil, but after years and years of my family doing 10k-15k change intervals, Ive concluded they are a waste of money in the long run.

I use mobil 1 supersyn extended performance, and any oil filter thats on sale. With 1 exception, FRAM, they make junk filters.

The history of Mobil 1 in my family:

1987 Toyota 4x4 with 265,000 miles on it, sold running well, consuming very little oil, it had 10,000 miles oil changes with mobil 1 since birth.

1996 Mercury Tracer, 183,xxx miles, still runiing, its our spare car. It had 10,000 mile changes since birth, it doesnt burn A DROP of oil through the whole 10k miles.

2002 Saturn SL2, it has 75,000 miles or so right now, its always had 15,000 mile changes since the begining, everything is good.

2003 Ford Ranger 4x4 with the V6 4.0, had regular oil until about 30,000, then switch to Mobil 1, 15,000 mile changes, i think it has about 83,000 or so, its my fathers car and I only see the odometer when im changing his oil. Its running strong, it seems to consume about .5-1.0 quart through the 15,000 miles.

and finally, my 2006 dodge dakota V6 3.7L, since the begining its had Mobil 1 supersyn extended performance, 15,000 miles oil changes, supertech/bosch/mobil1/puralator oil filter, depending on whats cheapest. The truck now has 26,000 miles, i think I ran the stock factory oil to 3,000 miles, changed it, changed it to M1, went to like 18,000, and now working on the next 15k as we speak. I noticed that by the end of the 15,000 miles, its about .5 quart low, no biggie, I think I wound up adding half a quart at like 12,000 miles.

Its worth it for many reasons,

1. you only consume 5 quarts a year, (or 6 if you need to add a little during the 15,000 miles)

2. Its cheap! At walmart it cost around $27 for the 5 quart jug of M1 EP, and $3 for a filter, so $30 a year!

3. You save crazy time. Its only having to crawl under the truck once a year to change the oil. every 3000 miles? Cmon thats WAY to often.

Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the TOP 2 synthetic oils by far, and have large extended drain intervals. The reason i went with Mobil 1, is because its available EVERYWHERE. Amsoil dealers by me are few and far between and motor oil is not somthing i want to order online. the mobil is a few bucks cheaper per quart as well.

My 3.7L loves it, and the oil is in pretty good shape when i drain it. IM HAPPY!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

well go with Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I use Royal purple just cause of the past cares i've had and its just a great brand of oil...but yeah don't ever leave a filter on for 7500 or oil in your car for 15000 miles...thats just stupid...every 3,000 or 3 months...i run synthetic and i still go by that rule...every 3,000 cause really every time you start your car even if your sitting still that oil is still being run through your motor so really your putting more miles on your motor and oil life but its not clocked as distance miles...make since? but yeah never leave oil in your car for longer than 5,000 tops!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4x4QC06V8DKTA

well go with Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I use Royal purple just cause of the past cares i've had and its just a great brand of oil...but yeah don't ever leave a filter on for 7500 or oil in your car for 15000 miles...thats just stupid...every 3,000 or 3 months...i run synthetic and i still go by that rule...every 3,000 cause really every time you start your car even if your sitting still that oil is still being run through your motor so really your putting more miles on your motor and oil life but its not clocked as distance miles...make since? but yeah never leave oil in your car for longer than 5,000 tops!
Your indirectly calling me stupid?

Your wasting your money. You know we are the only country that changes out oil 3000-5000 miles right? The same engine that has a 3k interval recommendation in a cars manual has a 10,000 mile change interval in europe. Explain to me why leaving your oil filter on for 7500 miles is stupid, with facts.

You know how many fleet vehicles and cab companies change there oil annually with synthetic oil? They do not change there filter between oil changes either, lol.

Did you not read my post?

It is good that you change your Royal Purple every 3,000 miles, because it is not a Polyalphaolefin oil, and cannot run extended drains well. Its pretty much no better then a conventional oil. Why spend more money on it?

As far as idle time for oil life, thats pretty nuts IMO. Blackstone labs has confirmed hundreds of vehicles can continue using mobil 1 up to and past 15,000 miles on the BITOG forums.

And despite ALL OF THIS. Explain to me then why Mercedez Benz uses mobil 1 synthetic, and a traditional catridge style oil filter, and have a recommended oil change interval of 10,000 - 20,000 miles in the manual for the car. Thats straight from the manufacturer.

So tell me whats stupid.

Quick Reply: Newbie question on Synthetic Oil