3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Well guys, here we go. Just got word from the body shop this morning that my truck is a write off. Now it's on to the insurance co. and their BS to see how bad they're going to try to screw me. KBB and NADA show it at around $18-18,500 for private sale, and retail is $21,500. They're probably going to shoot me a number around $15K. And I owe over $4000 more than that. [&:]

I called Chrysler on my extended warranty and I'm losing my *** on that too. I paid $1000 for it a little over 2 years ago, and now the 'pro-rated' value after cancellation is $375. It kicked in at 36,001 miles and I had under 38,000 on the truck when it got wrecked. So for using 5% of the warranty, I lose 65% of it's value. How does THAT work??? [&o]

As far as my aftermarket parts that you vultures...uhhh, I mean guys...have been asking about, I think my CAI would work on an '08 4.7 if I decide to go with another Dak, but I'll have lots of other goodies to sell that never even made it on the truck before the accident. They're brand new sitting in boxes in my garage.

It'll be a while, but I'll keep everyone updated on what and when the stuff is going up for sale.

Wish me luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Jadman
Rookie
Default RE: Update

Damn Shame! Good luck with the Devil aka Ins. Co.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

hope u dont get screwed man, at least they arent going to fix something that would never drive right again

Old 02-27-2008, 01:21 AM
xx1479
Professional

Should have spring for the GAP but what's done is done. Good luck and if I were you, I'd buy a little beater for a couple hundred until the new Rams come out.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Racinartist
All Star

I actually drove an '08 Dak TRX the other day. I gotta' say, I really liked it. Even though it was an auto, that extra 70HP REALLY makes a difference.[&:]

Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
pack154
Professional

I might be wrong and it might depend on your insurance company, but I beleive they give you the retail value of the vehicle. I totalled my 1998 Dodge Dakota and my insurance company gave me retail value. I was able to put money in my pocket to put down on another truck. Good luck man.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank god they are writing it off.It sure was hurting pretty bad. Now hopefully they do give ya retail value so you can get a replacement. Seems like everything is going your way just so it stays that way.Anyways, this vulture would possibly be interested in some of the scavenged parts, depends on whats up,haha

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Right now, we're about $2000 or so apart on the numbers. Not as bad as I thought they'd try to rip me, but still a long way from being able to pay off the note. I'm in "negotiations" with them right now.[&:] We'll see what tomorrow brings.

And no, they're not going by retail. They call it 'street value'. They take into account what black book, NADA, ADP, etc rate the value, but they said they contacted several Dodge dealers in my region to get the actual value of similar trucks that are for sale. I'm not sure if it's rocket science or BS, but that's what they're telling me. The number they gave me is somewhere between wholesale and private party price. [:@]

If they're not willing to come my way on the numbers when I talk to them tomorrow, maybe it's time to bring the "L" word into the convo...

Either way, I have to get a new ride by next Tuedsay when they kick me out of the rental I'm in.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Jadman
Rookie

Hire a flamer[sm=badbadbad.gif] to fight the flamers.[sm=badbadbad.gif] Sad, but It's the only way.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Racinartist

Right now, we're about $2000 or so apart on the numbers. Not as bad as I thought they'd try to rip me, but still a long way from being able to pay off the note.. The number they gave me is somewhere between wholesale and private party price. [:@]

TELL THEM YOU CANNOT BUY AT WHOLESALE!
Print up some adds off the net showing retail pricing, that's what your going to have to pay to go out and buy a replacement for the truck their client destroyed, and be sure to add to that all the receipts for all your extras. They have to cover them too.

If they're not willing to come my way on the numbers when I talk to them tomorrow, maybe it's time to bring the "L" word into the convo...

And don't forget to mention all that back and neck pain!

Either way, I have to get a new ride by next Tuedsay when they kick me out of the rental I'm in.

And that is just what the adjuster is banking on, you need the money and cannot wait. It's all a well planned strategy by them.Give them a realistic price and stand firm. Tell them you'll just buy a beater till they get real. The adjusters are reviewed by their bosses evey 90 days and have to explain why they haven't settled all their cases over that time frame. Their bosses will be putting pressure on them to get it closed before you suddenly develop some medical problems.

I had a motorcycle accident and totaledmy bike the driver of the car's fault. His insurance offered me 2700.00 then upped it to 2900.00 final offer.
I turned it over to my lawyer and had 4500.00 in 3 weeks for the bike 50% more. Two years later [the waiting game] we settled for an additional 15K for our pain and suffering. Their gamble cost them 15K because if the had given me the 4500 up front I would have never called the lawyer.

Quick Reply: Update