3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Renamed: Trailmaster kit contributes to the death of my rack..

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Renamed: Trailmaster kit contributes to the death of my rack..

I took measurments of my trucks height today, because I had planned on getting the RC lift kit.&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;I was shocked to find that my Trailmaster leveling kit has sagged half an inch.&amp\\;nbsp\\; Now I am getting only a 1&quot\\; lift out of it.&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;Makes me wish I had never wasted my money and time.&amp\\;nbsp\\; The plan was to add the RC lift kit, but now i think I am going to remove my trailmaster kit and the blocks, and just stick with stock.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Default RE: Trail Master Leveling kit not holding up...

I contacted TM about this issue. They said is it impossible for it to have sagged ,.5". He thinks somthing is wrong with my front end.

He may be right, thats why my steering may seem funky. Maybe somthing is shot. I will make an oppointment with dodge soon.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:53 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep us posted on this-

Old 06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

I have an appointment with dodge tommorow at 9am )i work the second shift. I told him what the problem was and explained how when im holding a steady turn comming off a ramp or somthing, that it will get stiff, or loose all of a sudden, and i have to adjust to correct the turn. He asked if my power steering fluid was ever low, i said yes and i filled it back to max. he asked if it appears to be leaking, i said no. He said "sounds like the rack is bad."

So in I go tommorow.

Ironically I just posted a few days ago how dodge has the least reliable rack and pinion steering on the market lol.

first the steering shaft, now the rack? what is going on, i dont beat on this thing! It cant be the leveling kit, the internet would be filled with it, and i cant find any failures related to a leveling kit.

I'm pretty anoyed though, the truck has 28,000 miles on it. So far I had the ECU replaced, the steering shaft replaced, and now most likely the rack. This is nuts. It's a good thing I really like this truck.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

You say you don't beat the crap out of the truck on this post but on the "Wrong leveling Kit?" you post at the very bottom that you beat the crap out of your truck...so which one is it?
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1330044/tm.htm

Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Your right cuban. Well, I meant in that post that i dont baby the truck and I mean in this post that i dont drive off cliffs. My exact usage is very light off pavement use, but alot of payload usage. So i dont beat the crap out the truck, but I do.

LoL.

I am actually going to edit that post, about the Tm kit, because its totally wrong IMO now. and that was posted moments before i ran into all this.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
NJJer
Veteran

ORIGINAL: MonkeyWrench4000

I took measurments of my trucks height today, because I had planned on getting the RC lift kit.

I was shocked to find that my Trailmaster leveling kit has sagged half an inch. Now I am getting only a 1" lift out of it.

Makes me wish I had never wasted my money and time. The plan was to add the RC lift kit, but now i think I am going to remove my trailmaster kit and the blocks, and just stick with stock.
How many miles on the truck?

Like said above, struts. They are gas charged and do sag when they get older. You will see when you put new ones on that the truck will sit higher. The gas does keep the strut extended and "lift" the front a c-hair or two.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

https://dodgeforum.com/m_458712/tm.htm

Found this thread. It may be the u-joint on the intermediate shaft causing the steering loose then stiff then loose then stiff issue.

I hope so, that would mean the rack is ok. As far as the leveling kit sagging, maybe its time for struts. The stock ones are junk anyway.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

Yea, let us know. I have both the TM kit and the body lift kit sitting in the garage. Everytime I decide I want to put them in, I change my mind. I seriously doubt that you "compressed" the pucks. I would bet its the shocks. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Renamed: Trailmaster kit contributes to the death of my rack..